PDA

View Full Version : skimmer

coral_beauty_angel26
01-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Hi,

Just a skimmer question, I have /had a red sea prism skimmer on my 75 gallon fowlr tank and I was just curious about something. I had it on my 75 and when it was on and running it seemed like my ph was kinda dropping alot. I have a 29 gallon tank also and I didnt have a skimmer on it I checked the ph it was always fine no fluctuation. I took my clown,basslet and angel from the 75 setup because id like to use that tank for something else not sure yet(maybe some discuss) and added to my 29

So anyways I removed the skimmer and added it back on the 29 and the ph drops while it is operating on my 29. I unplugged it and just left my filter with powerhead running. anyone know why the skimmer is doing this? is it to big for my tank setup or what? thanks for your time.......Shaun

V
01-30-2007, 05:10 AM
well, im not up with your model skimmer. design could have something to do with it, others (american commrades) might say its just that.
i'll have a stab at a possible cause though, but first i should ask if theres anything thats changed, new lights above the tank, dosing additives, dosing limewater, checking the ph in the morning, ect ect?

ok, so as you know PH is the hydrogen ion count in any given solution in simple terms, the skimming action could be effecting the make up of the water dirrectly, it could be drawing in more CO2, (like the units air intake in a cabnet) or the skimmer system itself is allowing O2 to not super-satuate the given body of water traveling through it. That last ones a stretch, but it is possible!

I would test a combo of small changes, first open a window near the tank as often as possible, then turn an outlet or pump to break the water surface, place a fan ether blowing the air out near the skimmer, or accross the surface of the water, check you alk levels. Test at night lol

if nothing changes after that then i guess its time for us to put the thinking cap on, & chime in with a sound solutions instead of my wing-it ways:tongue2:

George
01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Strange behavior and I have no definitive ideas, but I can put forth a wild theory:

If you have poor circulation in your tank, but decent skimming, you could be removing suspended micro algae that produces oxygen in the system. The resultant CO2 buildup from poor circulation/gas exchange would cause your pH to acidify.

What kind of circulation do you have in either tank besides the skimmer?

P.S. Like I said, wild theory. :D

graveyardworm
01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
I would go with excess CO2 being drawn in through the skimmer. This time of year its cold so all the windows and doors are shut tight so CO2 builds up in the house, the skimmer does a great job of incorporating that CO2 into your water. Since CO2 depresses PH voila.