PDA

View Full Version : Nephthyigorgia sp.

dadonoflaw
01-24-2007, 10:04 PM
anyone have this coral can tell me about real experiences. i have been researching but i keep hearing different things. ease of care is especially suspect and also feedings so please give me some info or more reliable stuff to look at

wwest
01-24-2007, 10:14 PM
For a brief moment (a week) i had a little frag, For that week it was great in my tank. I had it kinda hidden by a rock because i was worried about it getting to much light for these corals like medium to low light. Thats all the experience i have had with them but the person i sold it to said it is doing great and growing very well. I would definitely own one again.

dadonoflaw
01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
what about hardiness and feeding requirements. i am certainly not an experienced hobbyists but i am adding a couple of corals including this one and a sun coral and i have heard that they are similar in that they are both filter feeders and in lighting requirements but melevs reef has good info on the sun coral so i feel more confident about that one as opposed to the chilli coral

wwest
01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
I have always heard they are very hardy but I'm not sure on that. As for feeding requirements i always feed pytho and frozen cyclops. I never spot fed it and as far as i know the person i sold it doesn't either and i know he feeds frozen cyclops. I know the Neph is a filter feeder but im not sure about the sun coral. Just to make sure you are talking about the Tubastraea sp. sun coral right? I have always heard of them to be a hard coral to have and that it needs a lot of attention and that they should be spot fed on a regular basis. Though i have never had one and have never researched them. Just stuff i have heard.

What type of lighting do you have? I can't remember

dadonoflaw
01-24-2007, 11:13 PM
yes i mean the tubastraea sp. sun coral. i have been reading and it appears that a lack of feeding is usually the cause of their downfall. i have 3 150 watt mh's and 4 96 watt pc's and the tank will have eggcrate and is 24in. deep i already feed frozen mysis on a every other day basis so between mysis and brine shrimp fed directly i think i can do it. i like having to do stuff in the tank. i find stuff to do so feeding them will be a pleasure. melevs idea about using a turkey baster to squirt the food over them seemed like a good idea

iglowce
01-25-2007, 12:51 AM
have u tried research on marinecenter.com?

dadonoflaw
01-25-2007, 12:53 AM
yea they have a brief description but i like to get real world experience when i can hear it