PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Hosting

3vilPuffin
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
clownfish are generally host an Anemones. but if you dont have a Anemones does it cause the clowns to suffer like the would be fine but not haveing fish only tank with live rock have them not reach their full potential? and you can have a pair host a open brain coral without consequence correct?
i need clarification

Rob
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
clown fish do NOT need an anemone for any reason. they will be perfectly content with any thing.. :)

keyozoxmfc
01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
will they host in like a hammer or a frog spawn? cause i think its a wonderful sigght to see them happily playing in something like an anenome

Rob
01-21-2007, 08:28 PM
they will host on the side of a powerhead..lol..
there arent picky, they just need a place to call home.. many breeder give them a pack of zip ties, or even just a tile

iglowce
01-21-2007, 08:35 PM
they host my torch.. and ended up killing it. thanx god now its gone and i got another torch home =]

sailfin
01-22-2007, 03:11 PM
they will host on the side of a powerhead..lol..
there arent picky, they just need a place to call home.. many breeder give them a pack of zip ties, or even just a tile

Yes, they will host anything. Mine are hosting the glass in a corner of the aquarium. Kind of pathetic. I've been hoping they would go into one of my leather corals but they seem to be minimalists and prefer bare glass. Go figure!

Raggamuffin
01-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Mine likes my Xenia :)

keyozoxmfc
01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
well i hope i get lucky! i have a ton of xenia and some furry mushrooms and a bubble coral as well as my frogspawn and hammer...hopefully they will peacefully host in one of them.

biggy_boie
02-17-2007, 09:46 AM
mine host in my frogspawn it was ok when i first got them put now they are starting to get a little rough. im getting a rose tip today for them to harass

cloob
03-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I bought a saddleback clown Saturday and it did not host my bubbletip until yesterday evening, I look into the tank and there he is swimming happily in my bubbletip! My 6 line was being aggressive towards him but now that he is around the anemone the 6 line has backed off.

lanesreef
03-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Mine seem to move from a frogspawn to a hairy mushroom and even the glass like mentioned above. I have noticed him in a small corner of the tank behind my skimmer return and rubbing it and 'sleeping' there.

Silly clowns.

petunia
03-15-2007, 12:03 AM
i have a tomato clown (named Tom) that is hosting a rose bubble tip anemone and i both are doing wonderfully. i just put a fiji tomato clown (named Sharon) in the tank over the weekend. she started out getting alone with the other clown but, that went down hill over night.

it's a sad story....
i had a damsel in the tank. he was totally aggressive towards anything. killed numerous fish and shrimp. he tried to kill the tomato clown but couldn't because it was in the anemone and got stung by it. it ended up that the black and white damsel and the tomato clown got along.

when i put the new fiji tomato clown in the tank it was fine with the other clown. but over night the damsel got to her. then the other clown joined in. they both beat her up. poor thing.
i finally took the tank apart and got the damsel out of the tank. then the fiji clown had her own little bubble tip anemone and the other clown had his.

the next day the little bubble tip anemone got caught in the filter and died. now the fiji clown, which is doing fine after her beating, is all alone on her side of the tank. it's sad to see.

i only have a 30 gallon tank and don't want to get another anemone. (the only reason that i had the second one is because the original one split)

do you think that the tomato clown will allow the fiji tomato clown into his anemone eventually?

CarmieJo
03-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Tomato clowns are pretty aggressive. I don't think that you will have much luck having it share the anemone. You still may end up with territory issues.

petunia
03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info.

I noticed that they get close but, they won't be hosting the same critter. I moved my leather near the side of the tank that the fiji is on and, she's hosting that. She still tries to buddy-up to the tomato but, he rejects her.

She's doing fine. They will just have their sides of the tank.

CarmieJo
03-23-2007, 12:43 AM
That is good to hear.

iglowce
03-23-2007, 03:26 PM
i wouldnt get a clown anymore unless i have an anemone. you may be lucky and get the peaceful one. but clowns are known to be aggressive and they may end up harrassing and killing ur lps or shrooms

Reefbaby
03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
I have to disagree....my clowns have been quite peaceful. One pair took up residence in my Xenia. The other pair in my huge Euphyllia and neither pair have seemed to disturb the corals that they hosted.

It could be very species-specific though....

iglowce
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
thats what i said. you get lucky to have the peaceful ones because clowns are generally aggressive

keyozoxmfc
03-24-2007, 02:35 AM
maybe it was because you had clarkiis ryan? because arent they one of the most agressive ones?

Seahorsedreams
03-24-2007, 04:05 AM
*holds up her boyfriend's hand full of scars from clownfish attacks*

No one will ever convince us they are friendly. I've been bitten by a small CB percula.

petunia
03-24-2007, 12:33 PM
clowns are really considered a damsel... and i know that they are aggressive.

mine are just fine on their sides of the tank.

my friend has pink skunks and they are aggressive but, not his percs. and, the 4 of them all live in the same tank... that's amazing.

Rob
03-25-2007, 02:50 AM
yes Clowns are Damsel fish.. and yes they can be aggressive.. some more than others..
i have see one that will take you fingers of (literally drawing blood) and others like mine you can pet. my breeding percs wont even bother me when they have eggs.

most are commonly accepting of other fish, but can be aggressive to anything that comes into there territory fish or people.
Maroons, clarkii, and tomato's top that list...

they do not need an anemone, and having an anemone doesn't mean they will host in it.. but yes, having a suitable host is important

CarmieJo
03-25-2007, 06:07 PM
My maroon is aggressive/territorial especially when defending her anemone. She has bitten me hard enough to draw blood on more than one occasion.

Rob
03-25-2007, 06:55 PM
carmie, i think you got the right word.. there really are more territorial than they are aggressive.. they can be rough on there "homes" but thats a different thing.. :)

veen
03-25-2007, 07:04 PM
my perc has hosted everything from frogspawn to torch to polyps and now a giant featherduster (which irritates the feather to no end!)

but my pink skunk seems only to host its own section of liverock. very weird. it hosted a leather for a few days but hasn't gone back to it in a long time.

petunia
03-26-2007, 12:06 PM
i think that it's totally amazing to see what a clown will host. they are a fun and interesting little fish to watch and watch and watch.

crswimming208
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Alright I have purple long-tentacle anemone and a clown fish that i have no idea what type it is. It has the normal two stripes and the stripe in the middle only goes halfway down his body. Why will my clown not host the anemone