PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallong nano?

garnman2000
01-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey im thinking of making a ten gallon nano fowlr im a beginner so maybe this isnt the best but i dont have all the money in the world cause im 16 anyways i was thinking of trying to find a way to get a larger water volume to stabilize things while still keeping it kinda cheap
stuff that i have
10 g Aquarium
Mechanical filter hang on thing
heater
fluorescent lights??
i used to have it for freshwater
thanks for opinions on anything i might need

keyozoxmfc
01-20-2007, 07:10 PM
aww reef is more intresting in my opinion

Rob
01-20-2007, 07:39 PM
:welcome:
a 10 gallon is really quite small, i would look at moving to a 29 gallon at lease (price is still low on this)

a ten gallon tank will be quite hard to maintain, and is not well suited for a newbie.
i usually recommend a 55 gallon for new comers, but no less than 29 IMO

problem is that bad things happen even faster is such a small tank, leaving little time to deal with them.

Ocelot199
01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
I dunno what your budget is, but if you've got a bit of money you might wanna look into getting an aquacube. They're pretty affordable and cool looking. Using just a 10 gallon empty tank is going to be very difficult, and probably not look the best... since you're going to have a lot of stuff hanging off it.

garnman2000
01-20-2007, 08:14 PM
im open to alot of ideas where could i find some info on that aquacube cause i cant seem to find any info on the internet about it so maybe you could guide me to that. and also i was wondering what some of your opinions are on fowlr vs maybe some easy to handle softies i dunno?

garnman2000
01-20-2007, 08:26 PM
never mind on that i found more info

does anyone know of anywhere where maybe i could by a bigger tank because some of the only places around here that sell them are like pets mart and such and they have stuff for like $250 so i didn't know if that was a legitimate price or not

Rob
01-20-2007, 08:43 PM
any LFS should have a larger glass tanks for much less..
they run about $1 per gallon up to the 50 gallon mark, then they get more.

im not sure wheich one is closer, but there are some local online clubs you can check with

here is for DFW area
DFW*Marine Aquarium*Society (http://www.dfwmas.org)

and here is for houston area
marshreef.org (http://www.marshreef.org)

garnman2000
01-20-2007, 08:56 PM
thanks alot glad i didnt spend that but i found another one in maast.org which is south texas and they pointed me to a couple of stores in san antonio ill have to go and see some of those stores thanks alot

keyozoxmfc
01-21-2007, 03:00 AM
well i know the 10 gallons arent for you, and oyu wanna go bigger, but i just thought id say that i think the Aquamedic Nanowaves are pretty cool. it has a built in skimmer and fuge and pc lights:wow: yeah but thats a pretty small tank. i just think its cool

iglowce
01-21-2007, 02:07 PM
i think so too.. some people started out wt their nano and were quite successful. just make sure u do all the research you need. and dont forget to use us as your help! =]

3vilPuffin
01-21-2007, 02:38 PM
hey im 18 i dont have alot of cash to spend either so im goin really slow with a 20gal long tank im upstairs so i really cant have any more weight then that but to get more vol. for cheap you could do like a rubbermaid sump and refugium. but im going slow to counter my slow income.. i know how you feel its really cool but you cant get a whole lot on the income just go slow and learn all you can.
Also i saved a bunch of money aside to get everything but it still wasnt enough i didnt plan for one of my old filters goin out. soon my experience save all the money you need plan it out good and put some away for unexpected expences.

lanesreef
01-21-2007, 05:44 PM
garnman,

for what it is worth. I started my reef off in a 3 gallon. I had some LR, a couple of zoos, xenia, a BTA, and a clown. It did really well for about 3 months. The hard part is if there is the slightest changes in any parameters it really hurts the tank. It was also hard to measure supplements, additives, etc (try to measure lugols iodine when 1 drop is for 20 gallons and you have to split 1 drop down for a 3 gallon dose). There is not much room in a small tank to move things, clean, adjust, etc. I moved the 3 gallon up to a 10 gallon as I had more $$. The tank did well and as I added LR & species i finally upgraded to a 40 gallon.

So you can start small and work up but it is nice if you can just go big. You will have to take your time as you move to a bigger tank (acclimation, cycle, testing, etc.) The nice thing was to learn on the small one and purchase things like test kits, foods, LR...things you can use on the big tank and then your $$ can go towards species.

just my 2 cents.

keyozoxmfc
01-21-2007, 07:50 PM
yeah im like the youngest at 14 here, but i think the best thing that helped me is getting a used tank and stand and light for a bargain! is there like a craigslist in your area?