PDA

View Full Version : New Here

garnman2000
01-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Hey im new here kinda new into the foray into reef aquariums also and am thinking about setting up a 10 gallon aquarium that i already have maybe with a fuge or sump or something hey im a 16 year old i dont have all the money in the world just interested in some opinions but ill post that in another forum later. Im also very interested in photography and i think it would be cool to have to photograph. Thanks!

graveyardworm
01-20-2007, 05:24 PM
garnman2000,

http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif

to TR

keyozoxmfc
01-20-2007, 06:17 PM
hey garnman2000!
i know where youre coming from! at least you can get a job. im only 14. sorry to say i have spent about 1100 dollars already, and i still dont have fish , just corals live rock and clean up crew. and im still going to build a sump. so its just a money hole. i even got my tnak and stand and light just for 100 bucks. but then again i do have a 50 gallon tank, so yours will be cheaper! i wish you luck!

Rob
01-20-2007, 07:33 PM
:welcome: to TR
yes, its an expensive hobby, so make sure you haev the full support of your parents, especially since you might get into a pinch and need a few bucks without warning

also, one thing that is very hard for people young and old is that this is a slow hobby, it will take you months to get your tank setup, thats just the way it is, any attempts to rush things will ultimately cause problems and cost more money..

so what im saying is be ready to spend money, and be ready to be patient, once you get these two covered you will be all set.. :)

keyozoxmfc
01-21-2007, 03:05 AM
yeah its also kinda stressful sometimes too. cause just so many things can go wrong. but yeah really take your time is a good tip. and if i could do it , im sure you can

iglowce
01-21-2007, 02:03 PM
welcome to TR...

IMO you should start off slow and get all the hardware/equipment before getting your livestock.. that way you are fully equipped once your tank is running.. dont go the other way, getting livestock then upgrade equipment. you waste money and risk losing your livestock that way.. gluck wt everything and let us know if we can be of any help!! also do your research =]

CarmieJo
01-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi garnman2000,

:welcome: to TR. I really enjoy photographing my tank. :) It has given me a whole new set of challenges and some wonderful subjects!

iglowce
01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
welcome to TR... hope to see u around more!

JustDavidP
01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey, welcome!!

My first tank was a 20 gallon.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/Nano.jpg

Honestly, I'd not go any smaller or you may get frustrated keeping the water parameters in check. I'd hate like heck for a newcomer to have a negative experience with their first attempt. Save up a couple bucks, heck, return recyclable cans, keep a spare change jar, whatever it takes to save up a couple/few and do it right the first time..this includes the advice given by Rob... S-L-O-W-L-Y! And.. never fear asking questions...that's why we're here.

Dave