PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Refugium on Existing tank

clavo
01-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi all. I was given an ecosystem refugium (hang-on the back) and I am thinking of adding it to my existing tank, which has been up for over a year now. I don't want to use miracle mud--I want to add fine sand, rubble and macro algae to the ecosystem refugium. My first question is: Has anyone used an ecosystem refugium and modified it to be used without miracle mud like I am thinking of doing? Secondly, if I add the refugium to the existing tank, will there be a cycling period if I use inoculated sand? Any advice is appreciated.

Rob
01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
those fuges are relatively small, so as long as you you dont go and add uncured rock or somethign you should be fine.

i have never used one of these, so i cant speak to the specifics of this unit, but in general i would use a small grain sand if it can be made deep enough. if you can get a good 4-5 inches of sand in there cool, anything less wont do you much other than providing a place for some critters to live

then get some base rubble rock and stick it up, MarcoRocks (http://www.marcosrocks.com) is a great source for high quality base rock thats real cheap. then add you macro algae and you shodul be good to go.. :)

christensonjes
01-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Yep, what Rob said:)