PDA

View Full Version : Branching Torch Coral

Sloppygolf
01-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey guys, I have a torch coral that had one branch die off....I believe from a clown fish that kept trying to live in it or the handling getting it home...but anyway I was wondering if that branch will come back?

Should I remove it? Or just leave it alone? The other four branches look great still.
Also, do I need to specifically feed it? I have had it for about 4 weeks, and it still looks fine other than that one branch. I have read conflicting opinions about feeding.

Thanks!!!

Rob
01-16-2007, 11:01 PM
i find that that with Most stony corals, they will rarely grow back in the sam spot like that. they may eventually, but when dealing with branching stony's if you frag off the damaged or dead part they will grow back a newer one faster than if you do nothing...

again, my experience on this is mostly with branching stony's, so it may not relate directly

iglowce
01-16-2007, 11:24 PM
i agree wt rob.. also how about removing the clown? i predict he will eventually kill another branch. happened to my torch..

Rob
01-16-2007, 11:37 PM
i agree wt rob.. also how about removing the clown? i predict he will eventually kill another branch. happened to my torch..
or push him to host somewhere else.. ;)

Sloppygolf
01-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I am keeping a close eye on the saddleback now....it may have been from handling when I brought it home though.....not really sure. I have also seen a shrimp "cleaning" around the heads also.
What about the feeding question?

Rob
01-17-2007, 11:37 PM
there are mixed thoughts on feeding, yes.
i had a hammer for a while and i feed it weekly when i did my other spot feeding rounds
never had a torch though, i would say go ahead and feed it, and see how it reacts. if it takes it and looks better"fuller) after words, then keep it up, if you find it purging within 24 hours of feeding, then prolly not a good idea.. :)

very similar process to what you do with an anemone

fat walrus
01-18-2007, 01:23 AM
It is common to lose some branches, especially in the first couple months. All Euphyllia species are difficult to ship without some damage, causing bacterial infection later. Torches are probably the most sensitive of its family IMHO.

The dead branch will not grow back if there are no tissue left, but sometimes a new coral will grow on top of the dead branch.

Sloppygolf
01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
OK, thanks for the help, I'll try that.
You guys are alright!