PDA

View Full Version : white, pale xenia = problem?

rica5tully
01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I have had some pulsing xenia in my tank and it's been really healthy and happy. It's a brownish color and pulses and is spreading.

Recently, though, most of it has turned a very pale color, almost white. It's still pulsing but it looks a little flimsier than before and it's a very whitish color. About 20% of it is still brown like before.

any ideas on what could be going on?

Right now I have no fish in the tank. I feed a homemade coral recipe every evening. No additives except Kalk a couple of times a week in top-off water.

I change 5% of the water every week.

Do I need to add iodine or something?

Thanks.

Amphibious
01-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Give us a little more info. Size of tank, lighting system, water parameters, etc. How long have you had the tank set up? How long have you had the xenia?

rica5tully
01-10-2007, 09:46 PM
sorry...here goes...

72 gallon bowfront + sump
Compact Florescent lighting = 250 Watts total (half actinic)
Nitrates = 0
Nitrites = 0
Ammonia = 0
SG = 1.025
Ph. = 8.4-8.5
Temp = 79
Corals: Mushrooms, Monti-cap, Pipe Organ, Frogspawn, Zoos, brown polyps

Tank has been set up for four months. I've had the xenia about 2 months (or longer? I can't remember). It's been doing really well and spreading like crazy. Then all of a sudden....pale.

Amphibious
01-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks. Can't tell much from those numbers. It should be fine. Xenia can be touchy while getting established but yours shouldn't be suffering from that either. My guess is, it's color shifting due to your lighting as compared to where you got it. Sounds strange but, that's all I can think of.

wwest
01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Xenia is a very strange coral in my eyes. One minute it will grow like crazy and the next its dead. I messed around with xenia for a little while untill i decided that i dont want something that will ultimately die. I have heard of a lot of people having the same problem as well.

How much water flow do you have on them? They don't hurricane force, but they do like a lot of flow. Almost like a palm tree in heavy wind..

rica5tully
01-10-2007, 10:22 PM
A palm tree in a heavy wind...that's a good way to describe my flow on them. They aren't blowing down, but there's a pretty strong breeze on them.

graveyardworm
01-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I've had similar issues in the past. Xenia growing like crazy then poof it melts. Not to recommend anything particular, but since the last meltdown a long time ago. I've been dosing KNO3, Iodine, Iron, and Kents Essential elements. The xenia has been doing great, so for now my fingers are crossed.

iglowce
01-11-2007, 02:56 AM
same here mine was blooming then all of a sudden, go poof... hehe

Seahorsedreams
01-11-2007, 04:04 AM
Regular water changes with a decent saltmix will keep all your trace elements where they should be without additives. If you don't test for it don't add it. JMO.

rica5tully
01-11-2007, 09:33 AM
What do you all do for water changes?

How much...how often?

wwest
01-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I do 10% once a week. I am a true beleiver of regular water changes. :)

Amphibious
01-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Xenia is a very strange coral in my eyes. One minute it will grow like crazy and the next its dead. I messed around with xenia for a little while untill i decided that i dont want something that will ultimately die. I have heard of a lot of people having the same problem as well.

How much water flow do you have on them? They don't hurricane force, but they do like a lot of flow. Almost like a palm tree in heavy wind..And you are into reefing??? :rotfl:

I'm sorry Wes, I just couldn't pass this up. I do know what you mean though.

Dick

CarmieJo
01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm with Wes on the water changes, I change at least 10% weekly.

wwest
01-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Oh amp you kill me :)

In all honesty that is the only healthy creature in my tank that has ever passed. I have tried to save bleached or half dead corals and have had %50 luck.. But yea not a big Xenia fan here :)