PDA

View Full Version : Two MH Questions

JeffDubya
01-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Question 1:

With my diving equipment, I use compact HID lights. Granted, they are very different from MH lighting, but there are similarities.

With HID, when you turn on the light and fire the ballast, you really NEED to wait a minimum of two minutes before you turn it off. I am told this is to save the bulb.

I notice a similar start up sequence with my MH (14K) pendant, and I am wondering... once that pendant is turned on, should I wait any particular amount of time before shutting it off?

Question 2:

For my prop tank, I am currently using a 12 hour photoperiod. Too long? Just right? Please let me know.

iglowce
01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Question 1:

With my diving equipment, I use compact HID lights. Granted, they are very different from MH lighting, but there are similarities.

With HID, when you turn on the light and fire the ballast, you really NEED to wait a minimum of two minutes before you turn it off. I am told this is to save the bulb.

I notice a similar start up sequence with my MH (14K) pendant, and I am wondering... once that pendant is turned on, should I wait any particular amount of time before shutting it off?

i dont think u have to but to protect ur equipment, waiting an extra 5minute would be the safe way.

Question 2:

For my prop tank, I am currently using a 12 hour photoperiod. Too long? Just right? Please let me know.

no its not. my actinics is on 12 hrs and my MH is on 6 hrs =]

Rob
01-10-2007, 06:56 PM
well, to be technical, MH lights are HID.
they need a cool off time before you can turn them back on, but i am not aware of a burn time before they can be turned off

as for the photo period, 12 hours of MH is way more than you need, 12 hours total (MH and T5/VHO/PC) is fine, but really you only need 4-8 hours of MH. My display tank gets 5 hours of MH and 12 hours of actinic VHO

JeffDubya
01-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Rob - this is for my prop tank, and I do not have any supplemental lighting, just MH

Thanks also for the HID clarification. They seemed awful similar to me.

Rob
01-11-2007, 03:04 PM
well, i would look at adding some simple T5 or PC, i noticed a big difference when i did that, since before that i was running my MH much longer, and my coral were just not holding there color. once i added the smaller sup lights, and reduced the MH photoperiod they were much happier..

but to compare i was running 2x 250w MH over a 50 gallon breeder tank i have added 2 54w actinic T5s to that

JeffDubya
01-13-2007, 03:31 PM
well, i would look at adding some simple T5 or PC

Nice for someone to tell me now... WHEN I DON'T HAVE THE BUDGET FOR THAT...

If I spend any more money on that project my wife *will* hurt me.

Donations? Anyone? :p

Rob
01-16-2007, 01:12 AM
lol.. i feel ya...
just dont run your photo period too long and keep an eye out for some used lights, thats what i did..
picked up a T5 hood from a TR member actually.. :)