PDA

View Full Version : green fuzzy algae stuff

mhatt
01-10-2007, 07:22 AM
my tank has started to grow some green fuzzy stuff. mostly on the rocks towards the bottom of the tank, and on the glass. it started small, in one corner, and has spread, over the past few days. it is a 20 g tank, and i just bought it and moved it from where it was set up before. about 25% of the water was changed during the move. that was about a month ago. this is my first tank, so most of what i know is from robs show, and from "the other one"(reefcast), and some other stuff ive read. From this, it is my understanding that it is normal for a newly established tank to go through an algae bloom, in the first few months, but it will eventually go away. is this true, and is this what my tank could be going through due to the recent move? is there anything i can do to help get rid of this stuff, or should i just wait a week or 2 and see if it goes away on its own?

TJcop
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
You are experiencing the Turf Algae Phase of most new tanks. Water changes can help, along with minimzing phosphates. Also, if you don't have any light dependant corals in the tank (and you shouldn't since the tank is so new), keep your lighting to a minimum.
You can also throw some Turbo snails in there...they will clear that up in a day or two!

iglowce
01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
agreed!!! snails seem to do magic in a lot of marine tank problems.. and increasing flow and reduce nitrates too.. i have seen the same answer for many different questions

mhatt
01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
i got one snail, i dont know what it is, and i got 3 astrea snails. i'll work on gettin some more soon.