PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the difference between watts for me please?

Ocelot199
01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
I still have yet to order my light fixture, and I've pretty much figured out what I want... but whats the difference between 150 and 250? Like, what can I do with 250 that I can't with the 150?

I'm planning on ordering from here (http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/metal_OuterOrbit3.htm), and I wanna know if the $200 difference between the wattage is worth it (I'm getting the 48")

NeO
01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
I would say, with a 250 you can keep more light demanding corals like SPS corals, Acros, Millis etc.. with 150 you will be limited to most of the LPS some of not so demanding SPS like montipora digitata, caps and softies. Plan very well what you wanna keep in your tank before you get your light, dont make the same mistake that I did. I start with Pcs then went to VHO and finally got into DE MH, I could saved over $600 if I went strait to MH

Gustavo

Raggamuffin
01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
This too also depends, people say you can't keep acro's under PC's....I have about 10 :) I also have other SPS, LPS, and softies + a clam. Here is the kicker to do this with PC bulbs I amrunning 512 watts and have to know exactly where each coral needs to be. Learning about PAR meters is a must with a nut like me who does this sort of thing. It's not really the wattage that matters but the PAR value and where in your specific tank the requirments for your specific pets needs are met.

NeO
01-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I do agree with you, but why have 512w of PCs or any other kind of light that the bulb will lest 6 to 8 months when you can have 2 250W DE that will lest close to 12 months and penetrate 2 times(maybe 3 times) dipper into the water and dont have to worry about were each coral needs to be?
And he can do what you are doing with the dual 150 that he is talking about.

iglowce
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
one advice i give u. plan ahead and know what ur ultimate set up will be. then get the lighting for it. dont buy different lighting along the way. u waste ur money that way.

Ocelot199
01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
I've got a good idea of where I'm gonna go with my tank, and from what you guys have said I'm thinking that the extra 200 bucks is gonna be worth it in the long run. One of the first things I was looking at when I first started getting into the hobby was clams, so thats a must... and the better I can provide for them, the happier I am :)

Thanks for the input.

Rob
01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
here is my opinion on it.
if you are going to use 150 watts, as long as your tank is less than 18" tall you should be fairly unrestricted, if more than 18", then go with the 250w, if more than 24" look towards the 400w

the main difference in the wattage of MH bulbs is there ability to penetrate into the depth of the tank..

also it sounds like Ocelot199 has already decided to go MH, so it might be best not to confused the situation with details on PC, as the details are not always comparable to MH.

Ocelot199
01-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Total depth to the top of the sandbed is something like 17.5"... so I guess the 150s will be okay then. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)