PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 55 to 90

kernelg
02-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Hello,

I have a 55 Gallon Tank which I have had now for almost three years. After wanting to upgrade to 90 for about a year, my wife was very kind of buying an all glass 90 with Corner overflow. Today, I bough the new stand and I am ready to start my project of upgrading my tank.

I have heard from friends that the process should take at least about three weeks. but now that I have all the pieces together I am not so sure that what I originally though should be simple is going to be "that simple"

I would like to hear suggestion related to the best of connecting the plumbing together and how should I proceed to move stuff from one tank to another without loosing any of my fish or coral.

Here is what I have for my new tank:

* All Glass 90 with Corner Overflow
* Amiracle Wet/Dry (that's all it says outside as I bough it from a friend that was not running his tank anymore
* Top Fathom 100 (got it from the same friend)
* Planning to use my same Coralife 48" lights (4 x 64 Watts 10000K + Actinic) on the new tank. (I hope they are enough, but if not, please let me know)

My old tank is running like this:

* 55 all glass (drilled a hole in the corner)
* My own made wet/dry
* Modified Skilter (i added a woodstone and an air pump and closed the venturi tube) was working very well
* Coralife lights (as I described above)

I have on the tank:

1 blue tank.
1 Maroon clown fish
1 Stripped Damsel
1 Orange spotted Goby
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Sea urchin
1 Sand Sifting starfish
1 Maroon Anemone
1 Rock full of green polyps
1 Rock full of brown polyps
1 Bubble Coral
1 Clam
1 rock full of purple mushrooms
1 brown mushroom

- I like to know how much more live rock should I buy (or alternatives)
- Does this protein skimmer go before the wet/dry or after?
- Any procedures that I should follow so nothing dies.

Please suggestion, tips, mistakes I should not make, or any think I am not thinking of are very welcome.

Regards,

K

pham411
02-11-2006, 08:48 PM
- I like to know how much more live rock should I buy (or alternatives)
- Does this protein skimmer go before the wet/dry or after?
- Any procedures that I should follow so nothing dies.

K

well for starters if your going to keep a reef tank wet dry's are know to be nitrate and phosphate beds. i would just go with the skimmer, lots of LR and a deep sand bed for your filtration. do you plan to move all your sand and rocks from your previous setup?

Rob
02-12-2006, 12:16 PM
i have done a couple shows regarding tank moving (show 14)
and about upgrading to larger tank (cant remember the episode number)

for live rock, you will want about 1-2 Lbs per gallon if you shoot for 100 - 120 Lbs, you will be good.
sand be should be about 5-6 inches deep (if using a DSB)

the skimmer should be used before the wet-dry, and you should not run the wet/dry with the bio filters in a reef tank, (remove the bio-balls)

just take it show, make sure you plan the move properly, and know exactly what you are going to do.. just like a project plan. have every step laid out, so when execution time comes you execute, not think. :)

kernelg
02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Rob and pham, thank you very much for your response.

I have already started the process. I completed the plumbing and yesterday I tested the tank with watter. I also bough 40 Pounds of sand which will add to the one I have on my current tank.

Here is the link to see the pics
http://sentinel.sygns.net/fishtank/pictures/index.php?pageType=folder&currDir=./2006/upgrade

I still have some questions, I hope you guys can give me advice.

* I am following your advice and I will not use the bio balls. what filtration media should I use? Should I make the wet/dry into a refugium? or should I just put the normal stuff (Carbon, some sponge ...)

* I am planning on using all my existing rock and sand into the new tank. Any suggestions on how to move it without loses?

* I am planning on a week period between I have salt water running (with some damsels) with half of my rock and moving everything at once. does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

K

I will keep posting pictures of the project as it goes along

Rob
02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
* I am following your advice and I will not use the bio balls. what filtration media should I use? Should I make the wet/dry into a refugium? or should I just put the normal stuff (Carbon, some sponge ...)
i would recommend using a refugium. and only use additional mech or chemical filtration as needed

* I am planning on using all my existing rock and sand into the new tank. Any suggestions on how to move it without loses?
Yep, ok.. this is a bit complicated.. so stay with me here... firs think you want to do is roll up your sleeve, then reach in the old tank, then grab a rock, then pull it out, then place it in the new tank, then repeat until all old rock is in new tank, then dry arm....lmao.. sry.. just having some fun.. no, moving the rock over is no big deal. you can store it in if you need to temporarily. they can be placed in there dry for a bit with no immediate impact, but would be best to place in water if you can.

* I am planning on a week period between I have salt water running (with some damsels) with half of my rock and moving everything at once. does this sound reasonable?
you should wait until the cycle is done. and use shrimp, not damsels, unless you plan on keeping them long term. even then i always prefer using raw shrimp from the market. place a piece in there for 3-5 days, then pull it out and wait.

kernelg
02-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Hello all,

Tank is almost ready. I'll be posting pics soon.