PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom question

Russel P
01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi all. I have always enjoyed keeping coralimorph mushrooms and they tend to do very well in my tanks.
I have a 6 month old 65 gallon tank lighted with 2 T5's (10k and actinic, and a metal halide I can't run yet until I can raise it from the glass some), and a protein skimmer rated for 150 gal. My softies are all thriving with the exception of some mushrooms. The brown frilly ones are very bleached out (almost solid white), whereas other colors (red, neon green, green stripe) are opening up huge. I understand they are different species, but I'm stunned that such simliar animals can thrive while others are pinched and bleached.
All water parameters are great (0 levels on all nitrogens & phosphate, pH is 8.3, CA and KH moderate to high). I run carbon monthly and have no algae problems (other than coraline taking off). Any tips for keeping these "beginner" species? Also I'm worried than skimming and carbon may be removing the light amounts of suppliments I add.

JeffDubya
01-09-2007, 03:37 PM
"brown frilly" is a little vague, could you include a photo?

I'm a big shroom fan too, and have discovered much the same thing, 4 or 5 species do great, one unexplainably just doesn't work well. Could be an allelopathy issue going on with something else in the tank, I personally think that lighting has a lot to do with it.

If you understand these are all different species, don't be so quick to dismiss that "little" tidbit of information. Keep in mind that these critters are pulled together from points all across the globe and *possibly* not intended to live together until they all met one another in your tank.

Just keep working the problem for now - but understand that over the long term, this may simply be a species you are not able to keep with success.

Rob
01-09-2007, 04:04 PM
have you tried different tank positions, somtimes they need different amounts of light or water flow.

also if its the kind that can "hold" food, you might want to try feeing small meaty bits to see if it will take them and eat

Russel P
01-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Well, I've moved them to a shadier spot, assuming that intense light might not be best for specimens needing to build up zooanthellae. For the record, there were a few small bleached ones on the rock when i bought it, but I felt certain they'd come back since the other ones in my tank were doing so well.
Will attempt some food later.
I took several photos, but couldn't zoom and keep any focus at all. I really need to learn the tricks behind aquarium photography. At any rate, I'll keep trying to get a good pic and post it when i do.
Thanks for all your help.

saxman
01-10-2007, 04:40 PM
have you tried different tank positions, somtimes they need different amounts of light or water flow.

also if its the kind that can "hold" food, you might want to try feeing small meaty bits to see if it will take them and eat

i agree. typically the "fuzzy" shrooms such as the Tongans and Rhodactis sp. enjoy meaty treats.

iglowce
01-10-2007, 05:40 PM
no help from me sry! im not too much on shrooms and zoas.. but i enjoy just lookin at them... =]

lReef lKeeper
01-11-2007, 07:59 PM
i am gonna say that it is PROBABLY the light. i had some in my softy tank that did that when i added some VHO's, and forgot to move them down. they did come back, but it took about 2-3 months.

Danamck
01-11-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree with reef keeper and think it's a lighting issue. I have a bunch of green stripes that were starting to fade. I moved them to an area with a little shading, and they are doing much better. Also they prefer lower flow areas.

Also, Rob and Saxman are correct - the "frilly" ones do like the occassional meaty treat.

I guess I agree with everyone!

Russel P
01-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Well, I won't be winning any awards for the photography, but it's the rock on the bottom left with the white mushrooms if anyone wants to take a stab at the species or if it shed any light on what the problem might be...
http://i18.tinypic.com/33ze9er.jpg

iglowce
01-12-2007, 05:57 PM
no idea, sry!

Russel P
01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Um... ok. And you typed that why... :sailing:

CarmieJo
01-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, I've moved them to a shadier spot, assuming that intense light might not be best for specimens needing to build up zooanthellae. For the record, there were a few small bleached ones on the rock when i bought it, but I felt certain they'd come back since the other ones in my tank were doing so well.
Will attempt some food later.
I took several photos, but couldn't zoom and keep any focus at all. I really need to learn the tricks behind aquarium photography. At any rate, I'll keep trying to get a good pic and post it when i do.
Thanks for all your help.

Russy, have you listended to the podcast on photography? It is full of good advice.

Russel P
01-15-2007, 12:02 PM
No, but I'll find that one! Thanks!

CarmieJo
01-15-2007, 02:34 PM
It is Episode 38.

Russel P
03-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Update:
Well, I pretty much gave up on that mushroom rock and just put it in my trigger tank about 6 weeks ago. They actually look a little better now. Still pretty bleached out, but not as drawn-up. FWIW, the other specimen is still for sale at the LFS (also bleached) and I'm wondering if they didn't have a rough shipment...

petunia
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I've had this happen to a few of my mushrooms. Every time that it's happened I have moved them to a more shaded area of the tank and, they have come back beautifully. I also increased the water flow in my tank and they totally love it, right along with everything else in the tank.

I also spot fed the ones that weren't doing well once a week. I used a turkey baster, water from the tank, and some liquid phytoplankton.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Russel P
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Update: 6 months later.
http://i13.tinypic.com/4qeouw1.jpg
Mushroom rock still hanging on, still bleached, no change (moved to bottom right of the tank). They did no better or worse spending three months in the trigger tank. Other coralimorphs thrive.