PDA

View Full Version : blue/green chromis or percula clown?

duke1231
01-07-2007, 08:34 PM
I have a debate in my head right now and want you guys to weight in on it for me. From all that I read about percula's they really do sound like the fish for me, but the blue green chromis looks and sounds like a fish that would be great for a newbie like me. I was watching the blue/green chromis for what seemed to be an hour today, and fell in love with them. does anyone know where I can research them more. I love to research, and if there is a site please let me know. thanks

lReef lKeeper
01-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums (http://www.liveaquaria.com) should probably tell you what you want to know about them. it is a Foster and Smith sister site (that they run).
they are one of the most layed back of the Damsel species too. i had a school of them in with a pair of percs and a pink skunk clown, and never even had a scuffle.

graveyardworm
01-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Here's a little info Blue green Chromis (http://saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/1024frameset.htm) This site also has a great library of info for many salty critters.

You'll also find some info in this (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/hcs3/index.php) article in RK mag.

duke1231
01-07-2007, 09:22 PM
thanks guys :) I only have a 29gal so It's either 3 blue/green chromis or 2 perc's. I am trying to keep my bio-load down.

Seahorsedreams
01-08-2007, 02:47 AM
I have to say here... don't go to sites like F&S for correct info on fish and inverts.... they are not always... ummmm... correct. Not saying anything about their site or the company but their quick little blurps are not known for their accuracy.

duke1231
01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
I just want to get a nice clean bio-load if you know what I am talking about. Not a lot of fish but some fish that will amuse me, and not just sit there. I only have a 29gallon so my options are quite limited. I dont want anything expensive and I want something that can take a few mistakes from a newbie. I am thinking like 3 or 4 fish of 3" in size. Also I want something that will not get bit by an emerald crab if I decide to go that route, because they are not what you would call a beginner creature.

iglowce
01-09-2007, 02:26 AM
i personally have had different clowns. but let me warn u, they can be hosting ur most fav coral and eventually lead to coral death. although thats not always the case, i suggest you be careful. i personally lost a torch due to aggressive hosting behavior of my last clarkii. i was kinda happy that i lost it because i can finally re-stock my LPS. thats just my 411. nice to meet u, by the way!

iglowce
01-09-2007, 02:27 AM
also the green chromis is in general more peaceful and hardier!

V
01-09-2007, 03:31 AM
i dont consider green chromes to be overly hardly. they can occupy the same areas as anthius & in doing so become accustom to better than average water parmeters. A 29gal isn't a whole lot of tank, chromis in my opinion are best left in uneven packs of more than a handful to be enjoyed properly.
It is true clowns will occupy something, whether it be a favourite rock piece or living tissue, & in some cases over stimulate species of coral that become a forced home. You have to take the good with the bad temperments, as is the nature of anything living.3
As a small clutch tank, i would suggest the percs as your cash card, rather than the latter choice, being more "species orrentated" you will enjoy the interactivity more.

This is all my opinion only though, end results belong to yourself ;)

duke1231
01-09-2007, 09:22 AM
iglowce nice to meet you as well. Veriann I was thinking that the clowns would be something I probably would go with. My wife will be happy with my choice since she bought a clownfish book lol

Rob
01-09-2007, 02:17 PM
i too am a clown fan, i think cromis are cool when you can school them in a large tank, but other than that, i prefer clowns.
i like the onyx clown, pink skunk, ocellaris, and of course the percula.. :)

iglowce
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
oh yeah the onyx is the best.. i love the b&w contrast with the lil red in the head =]

duke1231
01-10-2007, 08:55 AM
For a 29gal though, I am limited to the percula right?

duke1231
01-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I just want 2 percula's and maybe one other fish, which I am not sure what that is yet. Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

Rob
01-10-2007, 02:55 PM
2 percula's are fine in a 29.. :)

iglowce
01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
how about a pair of onyx and a clown goby?

Rob
01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
i have never kept a clown goby but i dont see a problem with it..
i would make sure the clown goby doesn't have special dietary needs (i dont recall)

graveyardworm
01-10-2007, 07:12 PM
My green clown goby eats the same stuff as the rest of the fish. Make sure the clown has a safe place to host, mine stays within the branches of various soft corals.

duke1231
01-11-2007, 12:00 AM
A clown Goby hugh? I will check into it. Thanks guys :)