PDA

View Full Version : More Questions

f1504b4
01-07-2007, 03:46 PM
I just fired up my system again with test water.
This time I plugged in my Coralife Super Skimmer to see how it worked.
Guess you can't really tell with just plain water?But my question is about the water level in the sump.
It's a 20 gallon that measures 30 long x 12 Wide x 11 Deep.I have the water level at 6 1/2" witch puts it about 2 3/4" above the pump for the Skimmer.The instructions call for 3 to 4".
I simulated a power outage and it leaves 2" to spare in the sump so that works right.
So now my systems working great,overflow is nice and quiet everything looks good.
Now I want to add my auto top off switches and I'm thinking a 5 gallon bucket to hold my extra water.
I am adding the pictures I have so everyone can see where I'm at.
I have also decided to put a closed loop system in on the far side from the return and overflow.
Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
I'm just itching to get this aquarium going and if this set-up looks good to you-all I am going to hook my top off up and figure out what light,sand and rock I need and order everything.
Phil

duke1231
01-07-2007, 04:59 PM
wow I like the job you did with the plumbing. Tell me how the bucket works out, because I am planning on doing the same thing.

f1504b4
01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks Darren,
I have the top-off switches already,just want make sure my water level in the sump is right.

iglowce
01-07-2007, 05:44 PM
nice plumbing work

duke1231
01-07-2007, 05:52 PM
cool cant wait to hear how it goes.

poppin_fresh
01-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I think you are going to have microbubble problems with your setup. It looks like you are running a Quiet One 4000 for the return? It appears to be plumbed wide open, with no ball valves or bypasses?

You can combat this in a couple ways, you can baffle the sump or you can slow it down. I personally think slowing it down is better for several reasons the biggest of which is better skimmer performance.

Simply adding a "T" and valves to divert some of the pumps output back to the sump is a good way. I would not simply just add a valve and turn down the output of the pump. This puts uneeded head on the pump, wasting power.

f1504b4
01-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Guess I'm going to have to look into what you are saying because I really don't understand what you are saying.I am just running test water right now waiting on $ to go the rest of the way and I don't see any bubbles.Any more help I can get will be a appreciated.
Thanks Phil

poppin_fresh
01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Phil,
the microbubbles im reffering to probably wont show up with fresh water. Salt water on the other hand, has a much different surface tension, and therefore has the ability to make very small bubbles. It is these very tiny bubbles that allows a skimmer to function. This is why a skimmer doesn't work in a fresh water setup.

These very fine bubbles do not dissapate as readily as larger bubbles. Therefore in your situation they will most likely be pumped from the sump into the main tank. Some people say that these bubbles can be harmful to livestock, but I dont necessarily believe that. The main reason I dont like microbubbles is because it looks bad. It makes the tank have a hazy look to it.

f1504b4
01-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Hi Yea I can see what you are saying and did a little reading this morning before work.Thats why when I turned my skimmer on it did not work and I kinda figured that.
Looks like I will put some baffles in.
On the other hand maby I should set the sump up with a refrugum anyway eventhough it's just starting out as a FOWLR.
what do you think?
Have to get back to work.................
Phil

JustDavidP
01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Phil,

My only other concern would be that the return nozzle, in the display, dips quite low in the water column. Unless you find a way to break "siphon" in case of pump failure, I'm not sure whether or not your sump could handle the volume of water sent from the overflow.

Dave

f1504b4
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi Dave the picture is deceving I do have syphon breaks in and they work well have simulated a power outage as I said in my post it leaves the water 2 " from the top when the power goes out.So the first part of my ?'s was about the level in the sump being at 6 1/2 " and if that sounded good so I could put in a top-off switches?And now I am concered about micro bublles
Phil

poppin_fresh
01-10-2007, 02:06 PM
You can place the topoff switches at any level you need to in order to maintain the desired sump level.

JustDavidP
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Phil... most excellent. A nice dry floor makes everyone happy ;)

D

f1504b4
01-10-2007, 03:10 PM
So should I go with baffles betreen the return and skimmer?Or just set Up a refriguim even though it's going to start off as a FOWLR?
Phil

wwest
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
If i was building this i would add 1 set of baffles between the return pump and the skimmer. I would set them 1 inch apart and use 2 upper and 2 lower baffles. That should get rid of most of the bubbles. However if you plan on a sump with a refugium i would put 2 diferent baffles in using 1 top and 2 bottoms in each section.

Just my 2 cents :)

f1504b4
01-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks I will be back tomorrow, look for me

wwest
01-11-2007, 10:41 PM
OK i will. I just think that there is a 20% chance it will stay a fish only tank and a 80% chance it will become a reef tank with fish :) I just say do it now and not worry about it later. :)

f1504b4
01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks Wes,
Your right about the 20% because I know me and you can see where I am thinking.
I have allot of ?'s to go along with the pics I posted.I have just did the plumbing on the tip Dick gave me last year that if it was going to be a room divider (did not have pictures at that time just the diagrams that are in my tank journal)
Thats why the return comes up on the same side as the overflow.
The first time I did the plumbing I had the return from the overflow coming into the sump on top of my pump.
And some one here help me out as far as rethinking the plumbing thanks...............
So now we are back to that 20% LMAO.................
I am working 60 hours a week right now for about the next 6 weeks,and I am to the point where my pictures show.
I am thinking that I can get a sump/refrigum unit for like $300 and that will complete my plumbing along with a tunse powerhead on the room side.
Still need some help on a light unit.
I have a RO allready.
Long story short I am willing to spend a little extra now to get going and learning and in the future hopefully have more time to DIY................
Because I am that type of person but right now I am working to be able to buy what I need and just want to put my sand and LR in and aquscape it and just start the cycle.
I have had FW for years so no don't worry,hey I've been working and reading and taking my time here.
What I mean is that I am not going to rush anything other than the set up.
Thats all I want to do and than after that I know what to do.
Phil

f1504b4
01-12-2007, 09:17 PM
LOL I mean I will take my time and just enjoy all the work I have in this tank and watch it cycle don't rush anything just watch and see whats happening..............

Raggamuffin
01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Hehehe this happens to me every Sunday, I work 60-70 hours a week EVERY week. I get home check tank, feed fish, check refugium, eat, go to bed. Sunday rolls around... WOW! when did those polyps show up!?!?! Hey whats that growing over here!?!?! and so on :) Cycling was a blast, it was like getting a whole new tank every week with things popping up everywhere, now it's mostly amazement over growth in a week. It's not uncommon to hear me yell for my wife and ask for a weed whacker because my Cheato escaped and is trying to eat my dogs.

Long story short, Cycling is the most fun to watch.... you are going to have so much fun :D /jealous

f1504b4
01-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Yea can't wait