PDA

View Full Version : Family Ctenochaetus

graveyardworm
01-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Anyone keeping a tang from the family Ctenochaetus in a seagrass or macro dominated tank, or any tank for that matter, but more specifically. Of course the one I really want is Hawaiiensis, understanding that its color will change as it matures. Is there anything that may make one more suitable than another, ie. natural diet, depth at which its found, other natural habitat factors, more prone to disease, adult size? My tank is a 100 gal, dimensions 18x18x72, DSB, about 40-50lbs LR, seagrasses, and a few mixed corals. I am under the impression that this family is best suited to eating microalgae films and perhaps some meaty stuff as well, and want to know if it may pose any threat to my seagrasses. Thanks to anyone who can help.

iglowce
01-07-2007, 12:53 AM
iono neither. lets just wait for the expert!

Amphibious
01-07-2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Community,graveyardworm.

Happy you found our growing family of reefers.

Ctenochartus hawaiiensis, the Chevron Tang, or Hawaiian Kole Tang is a beautiful fish as a juvenile and does well in captivity as long as it's provided with a diet that includes macro and micro algae. It grows fairly large (12 inches) and should be housed in a large aquarium. Your 100 gal would be sufficient for a good length of time with a juvenile but consideration must be given to it's ultimate adult size.

Here's a link to more information on the Chevron Tang. (http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/surgeonfishcare/l/blpickchevtang.htm) Best of luck to you.

Dick

graveyardworm
01-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Thank you Amphibious, I'm not dead set on the Chevron, they are a bit pricey, and I was alittle concerned about its adult size as well. I sure would like to upgrade my tank to a larger size eventually to accomodate it, but cant say whether that will happen or not. I was introduced to the Ctenchaetus family in a seagrass article by Anthony Calfo, and its eating habits seemed perfect for my seagrass/lagoon tank. Trying to research the Family abit before I purchase. From what I've read other members of this Family dont get as large, may be easier to find, and are far less expensive. Not sure if there's one which really stands out from the others a far as hardiness might be concerned. Thanks for the welcome and the link. :)

lReef lKeeper
01-07-2007, 01:19 PM
a yellow eye tang is in the same family, much less expensive, and looks pretty good compared to its MUCH higher priced cousin the chevron.

Yellow Eye Kole Tang (http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/yelloweyekoletang/)

Rob
01-09-2007, 11:24 AM
yes, and if i recall the specifics the Kole tang/yellow eyed tang should be fine in your tank at adult size.

the one thing to keep in mind is that a tang like this may clean out your tank of macro algae in weeks. they can eat a surprising amount, and you will need alot of nutrients in there to keep them growing back...lol

i haven't read the article by Anthony yet, so i cant speak to it, but i will check it out.

graveyardworm
01-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Hmm my reason for researching a tang from the Ctenochaetus/bristletooth family was that they are reported to be detritus, and algal film eaters. Supposedly they wont/cant bother macros or seagrasses. I've started visiting some LFS in my search, but so far no luck. I've kinda ruled out the chevron due to high price, bet who knows maybe I'll get lucky and find one mislabeled, or underpriced.