PDA

View Full Version : Easy ways you can help the TR Podcast

Rob
02-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Im working on getting the show some more visibility, and looking for help from anyone willing to provide assistance.
Podcast
Task 1 - Vote and Reviews at iTunes
In iTunes there is a section for the Talkingreef Podcast. In this section people can leave reviews on the show. If you have a moment and want to help the show out, please take a moment to add a vote and review on the show

If you have itunes installed, simple click here (https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/addUserReview?type=Podcast&id=78383725) to take you right to the TR page in the iTMS (iTunes Music Store) to add a review

Task 2 - Yahoo Podcasts
Same concept, looking for people to provide reviews and votes in the Yahoo Podcast page for Talkingreef
To do this, go to the Yahoo Podcasts (http://podcast.yahoo.com) search for Talkingreef, and leave a review and vote.

Task 3 - consider casting a vote at podcast alley
you can get a direct link for the TR page at podcast alley right here (http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=7677)
Podcast alley resets teh vote count every month. so vote every month you can.

Task 4 - Using the TR headline animator (the thing in my signature)
If you so desire, attached (in a word docuemnt) is the BBCode you can use to attach the Headline Animator to your signature. using this in your signature on other forums and sites (where allowed of course) will help raise visibility to the show and the site

Talkingreef Website
Task 1 - Share as many threads as possible, when you find good resources use the social networking buttons to share those threads (eg.. http://www.talkingreef.com/misc/SocialNetworking.jpg

Task 2 - Point as many people to our site as you can, tell them about threads, podcast, and our community

Again, none of this is require, but would help the show if we can get it ranked high, and get some more visibility on some of the top lists.

thanks to all, you guys are the greatest.. :)

AdamJ
02-10-2006, 11:39 PM
task 1 done :)

Scott
02-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Im working on getting the show some more visibility, and looking for help from anyone willing to provide assistance.

Task 1 - Vote and reviews at iTunes

Doh! Never thought of that....glad you mentioned something about it. :-)

pham411
02-11-2006, 01:14 AM
thanks rob!!!

Rob
02-11-2006, 01:21 AM
thanks rob!!!
no...
thank you (all of you) :)

CarmieJo
02-12-2006, 11:32 PM
I'd already done a review at iTunes and voted on Podcast Alley. I'll bop on over to Yahoo and add a review there.

Do you know if you can use the headline animator on boards like Reed Central?

I have another suggestion: I was introduced to Talking Reef on one of the "Groups" that I suscribe to and since then I've recommended it to all the rest. Perhaps others could do so as well.

Rob
02-12-2006, 11:46 PM
CarmieJoe, thank you so much for your efforts. they are truly appreciated.
ReefCentral will not allow the use of the headliner, or any other link in your signature, but many other boards will. again, i do not anyone to violate any user agreements which in the case of reefcentral it would. however, mentioning the show as an answer or valid response to another users question would not violate the user agreement

Just so everyone understand, im not asking for people to blatantly advertise the show or site. what im asking for is to promote the show as a valuable educational resource. this is best done when in response to a question that the show could answer. for example, if a person makes a post about what treatments are reef safe, you couple point them to the podcast episode 19 where Steven Pro is interviewed about is testing that he did.

i told my self in the beginning of this venture, i would not be one to self promote the show all over the place. i told my self that if it was a valuable resource word would spread. and besides for the initial announcement of the show, i have stuck to that word. And using this method the show has grown to have hundreds of listeners in a matter of a few months.

i thank you all for your support. i am convinced that i have managed to attract some of the best people in the hobby, your support has been amazing. thank you

gwen_o_lyn
02-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Yup, I will direct people to a certain podcast all the time...and with the amount of podcasts that we have, it isn't hard to find one that fits the thread discussion. ;)

Rob
02-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Yup, I will direct people to a certain podcast all the time...and with the amount of podcasts that we have, it isn't hard to find one that fits the thread discussion. ;)
perfect.. :D

JustDavidP
02-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm getting a Talking Reef tattoo :D And a picture of Gwen and her clownfish plush toy as my new bumper sticker ;)

Okay... I AM getting another tattoo...and reef related...but the bumper sticker thing would just be wrong!

Dave

gwen_o_lyn
02-13-2006, 01:07 PM
he he he... A TR tattoo would be awesome- Rob would love u forever! You can get the bumber sticker if you really wanna!! That little stuffed toy that I'm holding is the mascot of the GA Aquarium who is named Deepo and he is very much Nemo like, however he is a bright orange garibaldi.

Rob
02-13-2006, 01:29 PM
he is very much Nemo like, however he is a bright orange garibaldi.
and doesnt have a gimpy fin.. :)

Scott
02-13-2006, 10:54 PM
...but the bumper sticker thing would just be wrong!

but it would be too cute. LOL

CarmieJo
02-13-2006, 11:12 PM
My iPod may be the best toy I've ever had (and I LOVE toys) and when I read about TalkingReef just a few days after I got my tank I was thrilled! I've worked my way through the archives and have listened to some of the shows two or three times. I mostly listen to podcasts in my car and I often feel like I should just pull over and take notes!

Rob
02-14-2006, 12:56 AM
lol. thats great to hear...
i just love hearing from people that enjoy the show, and find it a great educational resource..
thanks

Reefbaby
02-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey Rob, I wanted to put a review in on the yahoo site....do you know if it's possible to put in a review for the entire podcast or can one only do it for the individual shows? It's set up a bit different that the iTunes podcast site.....

Reefbaby
02-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Hmmm....strangely enough, both of my comments (on iTunes and on PodcastAlley) haven't shown up. Maybe the iTunes one needs some time, but the PodcastAlley sent me an email for me to confirm that I placed my vote, but when I click on the link, it says that the vote doesn't exist in the database. ????

JustDavidP
02-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Most, if not all "pod services" are delayed somewhat. I noticed that it takes a day or so for the services to post a podcast when it is published. There is also a 'moderation' process that takes place. Podcast authors agree to terms etc. and most services ensure that the owner does not deviate from his/her charter and publish something that would jeoparize their services.

D

Rob
02-14-2006, 10:47 AM
yes, the moderation is usually done by the "service" not by us podcasters.
i have seen iTunes reflect reviews in minutes and some take days.

i appreciate your efforts, and will keep an eye out for the reviews...

thanks

Rob
02-14-2006, 11:04 AM
BTW Christi, your review is now in iTunes... Thank you :)

Reefbaby
02-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Sure! Everything I can do to help! I met some local reefers this weekend at my local LFS here in Gothenburg and told him about the site and the podcasts, so maybe I can get some more Swedes interested and participating!

JustDavidP
02-14-2006, 11:39 AM
maybe I can get some more Swedes interested and participating!

Oh.. I love Sweedish Fish... can we get some ;)

D

kj_yoda
02-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I have done Tasks 1, 3, and 4. Anything else, let me know.

gwen_o_lyn
02-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Anything else

I dare u to announce it at the ARC meeting tomorrow nite :mrgreen:

make that a triple dog dare with frags on top :D

Jimm
02-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Oh.. I love Sweedish Fish... can we get some ;)

D

Lutfisk anyone?

Reefbaby
02-15-2006, 10:25 AM
uigh! Yuck! I think the worst is actually "Surströmming" - it's a fermented herring (about a year) and it stinks to high heaven! They love it during Christmas time....

Sil, though, isn't bad....
:-))

JustDavidP
02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Um...I'm talking about the all important, sugar packed, lil' red fishy candy I got at the corner store as a kid :) though, *covering my peppermint shrimps' ears* if I could, I'd eat seafood 8 days a week.

D

Amphibious
02-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Rob

I have another option I've exersized, if you approve of course. :)

Here's a link to what I've done.

TalkingReef link. (http://www.theculturedreef.com/forums.htm)

Let me know if this is OK.

Reefbaby
02-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Great!!! Love that it's up on top! :-) I love your site btw...

Rob
02-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Amphibious. awesome...
i cant tell you how much i appreciate that..
it really shows that you see the show and the site as a valuable resource..

thank you.. :D

kj_yoda
02-20-2006, 09:27 AM
I dare u to announce it at the ARC meeting tomorrow nite :mrgreen:

make that a triple dog dare with frags on top :D

It was kinda hard to make an announcement, but I did tell lots of people.

Rob
02-20-2006, 10:51 AM
It was kinda hard to make an announcement, but I did tell lots of people.
and thats all i ask for.. :D

Kevin, thank you (and everyone) for all your support.

gwen_o_lyn
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
I just mentioned your website twice on TRT ;)

JustDavidP
02-28-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm soooo sure that TRT is on board.. more mentions of the TR there than anywhere else but podcasting sites.

D

Rob
02-28-2006, 01:07 PM
lmao.. yeah.. i get lots of referral hits from TRT.. thanks gwen. ;)

gwen_o_lyn
02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
you're welcome Rob ;)
maybe this is why I couldn't get in earlier this morning... I shouldn't refer as much!!

Rob
02-28-2006, 01:19 PM
lol.. yeah.. its been a busy month.. busiest ever...

i was hopeing i could squeeck by till tmw, since thats a new month and the counters get reset.. guess i was wrong...

oh well.. another thing to add to the list... the site is goign to be moved to a newer, more high powered server... *sighs*

kj_yoda
02-28-2006, 02:46 PM
I was wondering about that... Did I crash it with my uploads?

Rob
02-28-2006, 06:58 PM
lol.. no, it wasnt those...
i was sitting on the edge before we did that...

i have alot of work ahead of me to get the site moved to a new server.. so there might be a few bumped here and there, but its just growing pains.. lol

8251Reefer
03-03-2006, 12:07 AM
All tasks completed...

AdamJ
03-14-2006, 09:35 PM
#4 done. :)

CarmieJo
03-14-2006, 10:48 PM
What is TRT?

kj_yoda
03-15-2006, 12:31 AM
What is TRT?

TRT is the reef tank, another reef related forum.

FYI. At the Aquarium today, Gwen was a walking advertisement! Telling everyone about it. Very good job Gwen!

Rob
03-15-2006, 01:19 AM
TRT is the reef tank, another reef related forum.

FYI. At the Aquarium today, Gwen was a walking advertisement! Telling everyone about it. Very good job Gwen!
about TR or TRT....
i hope it was about TalkingReef... :D

gwen_o_lyn
03-15-2006, 02:21 AM
I think I was mentioning TR more than anything... we kept saying "hi Rob" to the video camera ;)

Oh yeah I was talking about your phytoculture video when we saw their setup at the aquarium

I am slowly being converted!! :mrgreen: The spell is working Rob ;)

Rob
03-15-2006, 02:43 AM
you will be converted...
<insert funny wizard smiley here>...lol.. :D

Scott
03-15-2006, 02:51 AM
we kept saying "hi Rob" to the video camera ;)

Hmm...now could that video eventually make it to a bonus vid podcast.... :rolleyes:

...oh, to clarify....I'm talking about the section of the vid with Gwen saying "hi Rob" in the camera all the time......any other behind the scenes footage could be another release. LOL

kj_yoda
03-15-2006, 09:44 AM
It was more me saying " hi rob." we were debating if it was worth it to be banned for life from the GA Aquarium to just jump in with the whale sharks. :)

gwen_o_lyn
03-15-2006, 09:57 PM
ha ha Scott ;)
We are hoping to let Rob make a vidcast from my video, however we need to get permission from the aquarium to release the footage.

We were tempted to jump in many times! Even if I was taking $1,300 worth of camera equipment down with me, that would have been ok!

You guys have done EXCELLENT promoting this website- keep it up! ;)

Reefbaby
03-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Hey Rob - I just noticed on the Swedish forum that i check now and then, I've got the feedburner as part of my signature, but it's not working lately. Has anything been changed? I copied in the BB signature again from the word document, but the .gif doesn't seem to be working. Is that dependent on their website?

Rob
03-18-2006, 01:26 PM
christi,
yes it may be because of there site.
they have the ability to disable, links and or images as they choose
as you can see in my post, and the few posts above this one it headliner is still functioning.

Reefbaby
03-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Okay...well, at least the TalkingReef link is still there....

bob21115
06-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I just took care of all 4 tasks. Do I win a prize? :lol:

Rob
06-14-2006, 11:41 PM
lol.. yes.. talk to Veriann, i think you win a fridge magnet or something..

only catch is i think it stays on his fridge... ;)

bob21115
06-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Kool maybe he can setup a web cam and I can watch it.

V
06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
give me a couple of days ok, im still setting up the camera, but u can log on & see it all u want, i'll even spice it up somewhat, put it on the car, the bike, the work fridge, the tank light fixture.lol u can even have it cycle a different angle everyday.
dont say i dont do anything for u guys! sheesh!!!

V
06-15-2006, 09:43 AM
look its simple, lets gather the contacts, gain access to a high-rise building, make a talkingreef logo by switching lights off or on in selected rooms till we get the 60ft effect. :thumbs: or call on our hacker friends to patch a feed through the times square many oversized comercial tv screens & neon boards! or better yet,:jester: a ninja mission, u guys spray the green grass of the white house lawns with petrol in the logo design, & i'll spray paint the opera house with more nemo's than u could poke a stick at! that should generate some interest, as my mother always used to tell me, there's no such thing as bad publicity, esspecially when its free!:rotfl:

fat walrus
06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
give me a couple of days ok, im still setting up the camera, but u can log on & see it all u want, i'll even spice it up somewhat, put it on the car, the bike, the work fridge, the tank light fixture.lol u can even have it cycle a different angle everyday.
dont say i dont do anything for u guys! sheesh!!!
the magnet should be holding down a TR logo. or a registration form. no pictures of Rob....that picture in MY SPACE blew my image of him. thought he was a pencil-neck geek with plastic pocket pen holder.

Rob
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
you mean you havent seen me in the video episodes???

wait..

that picture in MY SPACE blew my image of him
hope this is a good thing...lol

fat walrus
06-15-2006, 08:28 PM
so far, the only podcast i've downloaded was the zeovit audio. i got to catch up. lol

Rob
06-15-2006, 09:56 PM
lol.. i guess so...

kj_yoda
06-15-2006, 10:49 PM
That is pretty funny.... guess he just loves the COMMUNITY aspect of TR

fat walrus
06-15-2006, 11:07 PM
That is pretty funny.... guess he just loves the COMMUNITY aspect of TR
your right, and if you got anything bad to say about the TR community, you gotta go through my blubber butt. lol

Rob
06-15-2006, 11:56 PM
your right, and if you got anything bad to say about the TR community, you gotta go through my blubber butt. lol
wow.. thats alot to go through.... lol
:rotfl:

V
06-16-2006, 01:26 AM
lol, blubber, what in gods name attracted u here in the first place?
u dont have ipod or simular?
ki right, u must be a community junkie, or is the view & food better here?

fat walrus
06-16-2006, 01:54 AM
veriann, i'm a people junkie. that's what attrached me in the first place, beside for you being upended when i misspelled your name. lol. we are buds now.

rmarston
06-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Done, hope it helps !

dadonoflaw
09-25-2006, 05:31 PM
though i havent been on here that long i will be glad to go to itunes and vote this is a great resource for people who are serious about marine and reef aquarium keeping. excellent job. most of all i dont feel stupid asking questions that seem simple to others like with some sites.

Reefbaby
09-26-2006, 05:22 AM
That's great dadonoflaw! Having a serious marine forum, as well as an open and welcoming site, is exactly what we aim to be, so we're glad that it's working! Thanks for joining us and participating!

Paintbug
12-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Hey Rob, i brought up your site at our clubs meeting the other night. i was surprized no one knew about talkingreef.com. i made sure to point out how great of a place you have going, and how everyone there (about 10 people) should check it out, and spread the word! with out your vids, and shows on culturing phyto i dont think i could have learned in a year what i have in just a few weeks! Thanks for doing such a great job and i will do everything i can to help spread the word!

Rob
12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
awesome...
unfortunately what you found is a common thing, thats why i want to make sure everyone is spreading the word (if they like TR)

i want everyone to have the opportunity to check out the site and show, and then hopefully they will like it and stay..

thanks again for your help in these efforts

3vilPuffin
12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
you know ill help out anyways i can on my way to itunes as we speak.

JustDavidP
12-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks Paintbug (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/../members/paintbug.html).. you rock! Welcome to TR!

Dave

Paintbug
12-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks Paintbug (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/../members/paintbug.html).. you rock! Welcome to TR!

Dave

just doing what i can! :D

CarmieJo
12-05-2006, 10:29 PM
You know our clubs would be a good place to distribute the demo CD's too.

Paintbug
12-05-2006, 10:31 PM
demo CD's??

CarmieJo
12-05-2006, 10:33 PM
In another thread: http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/site-info-news/2910-demo-cds.html

Paintbug
12-22-2006, 09:28 PM
i made a blog about my phyto culture attemp. Paintbugs Phytoplankton Culture (http://paintbug.blogspot.com/) and of course i had to put the talking reef feedburner on there :D. is that ok??

CarmieJo
12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Nice. It is always good to get the word out about TR!

lcstorc
12-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Do you have business cards set up that people can print? I could probably get them in my lfs. They seem to help people remember the net address. Just something simple with the logo, address, and maybe a catch phrase.

Rob
12-24-2006, 11:39 AM
not at the moment, i am working on getting banners/flyers and cards setup in PDFs so they can be printed, but im still trying to find the designer to get them done up.. :) im not very good with that stuff.

CarmieJo
05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
This post is a sticky but with the new video podcasts coming I wanted to put it in front of everyone again!

Rob
05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Carmie :)
This thread/original post is pretted dated, i should probably write a new one with a focus on things that are most applicable today

THis thread has been closed

Please see this thread for new information

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/site-info-news/8805-easy-ways-you-can-help-talkingreef-updated-05-09-a.html