PDA

View Full Version : Feather Duster problem

Scott
02-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi,

I have a hawaiian feather duster in my tank and the tube has been slowly getting shorter and shorter over the past month. The end of the tube is sort of white/grey. The worm still has all of it's gills ("feathers") and extends and retracts them just fine in and out of the tube.

But I'm wondering what might be a possible cause for the tube getting shorter and shorter.

It's been in the same spot since I got it, about a month after I setup my tank I think....so about 4 1/2 months ago.

pham411
02-10-2006, 10:40 PM
is your duster attached to a rock? my hawaiian was super long but it ruberbanded it to my rock and when it attached the total length went from about 4 1-2 inches to 2. the duster is looking good since i got it with no problems. i know when dusters get stressed they tend to release the fethers and make like they are dead. the feathers grow back over time though.

Rob
02-10-2006, 11:05 PM
well the worm might be burying it self deeper into the substrate. if it look like its responding well it might not be an issue...

i have had my dusters "drop" there feathers before. this usually occurs when there a problem or when stressed. i noticed that prior to this drop they would not respond well to stimuli. in other words, if i would poke at it (or around it) it would not quickly retract.
point is that they usually start to loose responsiveness when there is an issue.

as far as the white tube im not sure why they would change colors on you

AdamJ
02-10-2006, 11:30 PM
the more white/grey may be additional mucus build up w/o the sand being attached.

i echo what rob said in that it is buryign it self into your substrate.
they are not going to leave more than they need exposed to the enviroment

Scott
02-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Ok, sorry...should have taken these first and posted a bit more information.

The duster is on a rock that has a "hole" through the one end. I placed the duster in there so the front was sticking out toward the front of the tank. The rest of the duster goes through the hole and rests on the rock. It does not touch the sand at all, and I can verify that it is not touching the sand.

It has never lost it's "feathers" and is still fast on retracting...it was slowly coming out when I started taking pics....and spooked it and it shot back into the tube.

I figure it's lost about an inch of it's tube so far.

So then it may have decided it doesn't need to be sticking out as far and is just downsizing its tube?

Oh, here's the pics....

http://scottsplace.homeip.net/aquarium/duster-shorter1.jpg

http://scottsplace.homeip.net/aquarium/duster-shorter2.jpg

Rob
02-10-2006, 11:44 PM
ok, that helps a lot...
its growing.. :)
the worm is pulling the tube into the substrate, and then growing more at the end.
you can see this because there is algae growth at the bottom, and the top is the normal color of the tube..

this is a good sign you have a healthy duster.. :)

Scott
02-10-2006, 11:59 PM
ok, that helps a lot...
its growing.. :)
the worm is pulling the tube into the substrate, and then growing more at the end.
you can see this because there is algae growth at the bottom, and the top is the normal color of the tube..

this is a good sign you have a healthy duster.. :)

Umm....that's the rock in the bottom of the pic.

Let me attach a different pic (an older one) that shows just the location of the duster.

Back from 9-17-05
http://scottsplace.homeip.net/aquarium/duster_9-17-05.jpg

From a little while ago with the flash (and yes...thats my problem algae too)
http://scottsplace.homeip.net/aquarium/duster-current.jpg

From looking at that old pic...it's probably lost almost 2 inches of its tube. But the other end of the tube is still on the back side of the rock, and not touching the substrate.

Should a duster like this be placed on the substrate?

JustDavidP
02-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Hawaiian dusters do well in rock crevices but I've also had them in substrate before with no issues. As long as they are protected and are in an area where flow will both bring them food, and carry away their waste, they are pretty happy.

The color change in the tube is nothing more than a change in the 'building blocks' that the worm is using to build the tube; Adam is right on with this. It can happen with either a change in foods that you give the tank, or a change or addition in substrate etc. Basically, the worm uses its crown of feathers to fish for foods. Acceptable sized matter will enter into the mouth, whether it is food or other waterborne materials from the substrate, rock, decor etc. Larger sized particles or other matter that is not edible are pushed by the 'feathers' to the tube and cemented with mucous to fortify their home. Other unacceptable matter is also expelled to free float in the system.

Because the duster is vulnerable to predators, it's goal is to own just enough real estate to get by. A longer tube, needed when it was deeper in rock or substrate may be allowed to deteriorate if the worm just doesn't need the length of it. Additionally, if your duster slid deeper into the rock work, you'd notice a significant increase in tube construction.

As long as it is responding to stimuli, eating, and doing well, I'd not worry.

Dave

Scott
02-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info Dave.

I'll keep an eye on it. But from the sounds of things, it looks like this is just normal. :-)

JustDavidP
02-14-2006, 10:14 AM
De Nada...

I remember years ago when my first duster "blew its top". I freaked, thought it was dead, checked my water etc. to find nothing wrong. I replaced it a week later only to find that yet another week later, the original worm popped up with a new 'crown'. The second emsemble of 'feathers' was actually much more ornate than the first.

Fun Stuff!

Dave

Scott
02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
De Nada...

I remember years ago when my first duster "blew its top".

The second emsemble of 'feathers' was actually much more ornate than the first.

Fun Stuff!

Dave

Yeah, I was warned about it blowing its top when I bought it. Hasn't done it yet. But that is interesting that when it grew them back they were better.

I've had a lot of fun watching everything in my tank, including the duster. I look forward to seeing whatever happens. :-)