PDA

View Full Version : pH buffer precipitation?

Cyclura
01-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Ive noticed that when i add pH buffer to the water that i have purchased and set aside for water changes, it turns into flakes and every time i start to add the new water into the tank during a water change, im surprised by a snowstorm of flakes pouring in.

Im using kent marine supperbuffer dKH (powder form) and i only add about 1/4 tsp for the 5gal jugs i hold the water in until it is used. Could it be because the water is just sitting there and needs to be stirred until use by a powerhead or airstone?

And the flakes that are all in my tank now (more than usual b/c i used the last bit of water at the bottom of the jug as well which carried most of the flakes) will they eventually dissolve or do they present a problem?

-Adam

V
01-02-2007, 05:18 AM
firstly your expensive baking soda should be kept away from heat or moisture & completely sealed to maintain a lable claimed product.

secondly i know you let the water sit, but do you mix this stuff & add straight away, or drop it in you jug when you purchase the water & there it sits?

your waters satuation level would easily be able to absorb 1/4 tsp in 5 gal.
maybe if your water was freezing it would only slowly desolve, but im gathering your not that silly.

if its all you mixing, add it to a 3lt coke bottle with an adjustable dripper. add & shake the sh#t out of it. that should ease your problem of any flakes not desolved. If you have sensitive animals it can pose a problem with random settlements from you jug.
even if you love that jug, id suggest you drop a small & cheap power head in there till your ready as a matter of course. water shouldn't be still for one, & it will definately desolve your snowflakes. If theres still chunks, its not meant to be in the tank.

Amphibious
01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
What V says is true. If you add an additive in a liquid state and it precipitates into it's solid form, you don't need to add it because the liquid you are adding it to is saturated with that particular chemical. In other words your wasting your money.

Question. Are you adding the buffer to fresh make-up water or premixed saltwater?

Cyclura
01-02-2007, 04:55 PM
The buffer im using is in powder form...not liquid and i add it to premixed RO water i purchase from the LFS the day i get it and it sits for up to 2 weeks in the jugs.

Veriann, could you go into more detail with this coke bottle idea? i dont really understand what your saying. Are you talking about using an IV type dripper to dose the main tank with the pH buffer? Im confused.

saxman
01-03-2007, 06:37 PM
we buffer our RO/DI as well. the water is in 5 gal carboys and once buffered, we drop a rigid airline tube into the opening and let it bubble till we use it.

are you adding the buffer to the water, or water to the buffer? you should always add the buffer to the water to minimize precipitation. this holds true when mixing salt as well. you should add the salt to the full amount of water then mix it to avoid Ca precipitation.

Cyclura
01-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I add the buffer to the water....now, advice?