PDA

View Full Version : Equipment pricing?

Bernie
12-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi All,

I need a little help from the group. I've decided to sell off my 55 gallon all-glass that currently houses my spotfin lionfish. I'm going back to just one tank, but gonna upsize my nano-reef to a 54 corner reef-ready.

Okay, to the question. I've had someone express interest in the set-up, but don't really know how much to ask for it...

Here is a list of the equipment...

55 gallon all-glass
48" coralife aqualight (4x65)
CBR bacpac HOB protein skimmer
Emperor 400 HOB filter for running carbon/pads...

I'd also be throwing in the sand that is in the system, but not the live rock.

SO... what do you guys think a fair price would be? I was thinking somewhere in the $250-$300 range...

Thanks,
B

gwen_o_lyn
12-29-2006, 08:35 PM
I would ask for a little more, but this depends on how fast you want to sell it. You can always start higher and come down if needed, but you can't go back up.

This guy (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/249888312.html) wants $1500 for his 55g tank which he prolly won't get. I would prolly start around $500.

PSH
12-29-2006, 11:23 PM
I think the price you had in mind is fair.

fat walrus
12-30-2006, 04:56 AM
I always felt that I would rather my stuff goes to someone who appreciates it more, not to someone with a deeper pocket.

Bernie
12-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the input.

I sorta feel like FW in that I want it to go to a good home and hopefully get someone else into the hobby. BUT there is also the notion that the more I sell this set up for the closer I get to my new tank.

I guess i could always make sure I'm under the new equipment pricing, but still get the most for my stuff... what kills me is the lights are $400 in the LFS, but $195 at marinedepot.com... and as we all know, that lights are usually the bulk of the equipment price.

Raggamuffin
12-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I tell ya that set up would go for WAY more then $300 here, I looked at a 55 with lights yesterday and it was $450 not including stands filters or anything just tank and NO flo tubes as lighting. The PC's you have used if they even just turn on with old bulbs go for $125.

IMO for pick up or local delivery I would bump it to $350-$400 great prices are one thing but don't cheat yourself either, unless you are selling to a close friend or family ;) hehehe I sold an aquapod fully stocked with LR and LS for $100 not long ago to my best friend... to anybody else it was $300 LMAO.

gwen_o_lyn
12-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Don't forget to consider location too. Tanks go for good money in Atlanta. And just think, our reef club will have 500 members by the end of 2007.

Consider putting it on ebay too.