PDA

View Full Version : Midas Blenny Aggression

Cyclura
12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
The new midas blenny i have added to my 29g biocube has been picking on my clownfish pair and my new royal gramma wont come out of hiding. My guess is that its being intimidated by the blenny but it might just be cause royals are shy??? anyways, one clown has even gotten a slightly tattered dorsal fin out of the ordeal. What should i do?

-adam

wwest
12-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I dont know anything about these little guys but i do like them. I almost bought one but the research shown that they are known to jump so i turned it down.. But they are very cool fish and i love the way how they kinda change colors depending on mood. Which i couldn't tell you which color means what but i would love to have one and see for myself. I have always heard they are peacful fish so im not sure why yours is being like that. Have you fed the tank after you placed it in the tank?

Cyclura
12-28-2006, 12:00 AM
yes i fed the entire tank (corals and all) yesterday a few hours after they all got settled in. Everything ate, the midas blenny just darted out of his hole to eat and dart back, wasnt till today that he started swimming around more and being a bully. I feel bad because my royal gramma just hides in his own cave, i havent seen him swim at all, but he swims around in the rock cracks.

wwest
12-28-2006, 12:09 AM
It might just be an adjusting issue, I wish i could help you more :)

CarmieJo
12-28-2006, 03:06 AM
Was the bullying while they were eating or some other specific time or all the time?

Cyclura
12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Was the bullying while they were eating or some other specific time or all the time?

the clowns would keep their distance from him all yesterday and randomly the blenny would lunge at one of them and they'd get into a quarrel. Now, i havent noticed any aggression today other than him chasing away my cleaner shrimp who got too close to his den which i read is normal for the species. My royal gramma even decided to make an appearence today and is darting in and out of the rockwork showing his pretty face quite often now. Nothing seems to be bothering him.

Also, the blenny looks like he's got lateral line erosion, would it be safe to start dosing with melafix now that i have all of these new corals?

Corals: 1 ricordea, 1 galaxea, 1 candy cane frag, pulsating xenia.

Seahorsedreams
12-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Don't medicate a display tank. Meds, or whatever you want to call melafix, belongs in a hospital tank.

Do you have a pic of the midas?

Melafix won't do anything for HLLE.

And I don't think I've ever heard of a blenny being prone to it.

Cyclura
12-28-2006, 03:07 PM
...OOPS

i already added the melafix, it wasnt the full dose and ive done it before in this setup with no problems. When the clowns had this, a good diet and frequent water changes completely healed the erosions. Not to worry, the corals are a little unhappy but ive added activated carbon to the filter and it should be gone soon.

even with my new camera the lines cannot be seen on film. only with a really close look can you tell. Ill try with the same thing i did my clowns, high vitiman foods and my regular weekly water changes. Hopefully the change in quality of water and food will do him wonders like with the clowns.

lcstorc
12-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Be sure to add garlic or garlic extract to the food as well. It will boos the fishes immune system and help it fight off whatever it has. I use garlic for all of my fish food and have had great results with no negatives.

iglowce
01-07-2007, 01:24 AM
i bought a midas today... i hope it wont get mean.. altho the only fish in the tank is the mandarin