PDA

View Full Version : Montipora

JeffDubya
12-25-2006, 01:32 AM
I am currently growing several frags or red/orange montipora, and would love to have a piece of purple and a piece of green as well. Anyone out there want to sell, donate or trade a frag?

JeffDubya
01-07-2007, 05:03 AM
I have the green, now only looking for the purple. :)

lReef lKeeper
01-07-2007, 01:07 PM
digitata or capricornus ??

iglowce
01-07-2007, 03:04 PM
i have green! its sooo gorgeous under actinics. 2 weeks ago while moving the surface skimmer box, i accidentally drop and break off 2 pieces from the original. i now have 2 small frags glued to the surface near the mother piece...oh well thats my first experience of fragging too

JeffDubya
01-07-2007, 06:55 PM
digitata or capricornus ??

Not experienced enough to answer this question.

Whichever is hardiest? :) Prettiest?

lReef lKeeper
01-07-2007, 09:09 PM
digitata is a branching Montipora and capricornus is a plating/encrusting Montipora ... sorry i forgot. i was just wondering which you were looking for. i have a purple capricornus, but a frag would be pretty small since all i have is a frag.

JeffDubya
01-07-2007, 09:40 PM
I really like the plating montis

lReef lKeeper
01-07-2007, 10:26 PM
i can trade if you have something that i dont have. you have a list of SPS corals you have ??

JeffDubya
01-10-2007, 03:11 AM
hehe I really don't care for SPS too much yet... so I really don't have any! (Not counting the small acropora that a buddy of mine stuck in there)

I am all about the softies right now, my man! I am attracted to the Montipora because the same friend gave me a chunk of the orange montipora and even under PCs i my display, it is doing exceptionally well!

I figure, if it's easy to grow... give me more of that!

iglowce
01-11-2007, 03:03 AM
u guys have ur monti for show? i wanan see some

JeffDubya
01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
mine aren't much to see at this point. Just small chunks.

lReef lKeeper
01-11-2007, 07:52 PM
camera is charging ... will post pics later, and the will be quite a few.

JeffDubya
03-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Since my original post I have been doing a lot of reading on Montiporas.

Be careful to not misclassify Montipora as "Cap" or "Capricornus." There are many more than two varieties, and many people seem to think digitata is the branching variety and Capricornus is everything else. More often than not, it's just Montipora sp.

Capricornus generally are more whorled in shape.

I see this error EVERYWHERE.

FYI... I have the orange Montipora sp. and Montipora digitata, I have a new green Montipora sp. and a brighter green unclassified Montipora that is more encrusting in nature, and a small chunk of green Montipora digitata.

I also have inherited a really big Montipora digitata of unknown color, because I have been told it is really browned out. I don't know when it might change color.

Just something that comes to mind every time I see this type of discussion now. You can thank my wife for buying me the Eric Borneman corals book. He's hardcore, and that's an amazing book.

I am now looking for the purple Montipora sp., or the plating variety.

lReef lKeeper
03-04-2007, 02:04 AM
IMO, that book should be a requirement when getting into reefkeeping !! i have a signed copy of it !!
i have i actually have 4 montipora capricornus and 2 montipora sp. my purple monti sp. is a SLOW grower for some reason, but the caps are crazy fast growers. if my camera would transfer pics to my computer i would post pics of them all for you. thats ok though ... i have geek squad coming out to look at it next week.

JeffDubya
03-04-2007, 03:03 AM
I agree. The encrusting montipora are definitely slower. But when they finally take off, they seem to rev it up a bit.

I am actually going to invest in an encrusting montipora many reefers call "Poker Star."
I have seen this also as "superman montipora" and "montipora danae" but it's probably just another Montipora sp.

It is blue with green polyps, except for new growth, where the polyps are orange. And they blend through, too - making for an incredible effect.

It's spendy. But I am buying it primarily to grow it and frag it. So with any luck I can recoup the investment.

Rob
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM
for this Montipora danae is actually the name, superman is a common name

the big issue with latin names is that they usually dont include the different color morphs, which is where common names come in you could have to Montipora Digitata one brown, with purple tips and one green wih white tips.. same species... but this is discussion for a discussion forum, not for a selling/trading forum.. ;)

JeffDubya
03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
this is discussion for a discussion forum, not for a selling/trading forum.. ;)

It's your show, Rob... but I don't agree.

It would seem proper identification would be key to a successful sale or trade... don't you think? :cool:

Rob
03-06-2007, 12:35 AM
yes i agree but no one is offering up anything to properly identify.. :)
there for the details are purely informational and not directly related to s a sale/trade

its ok, the rules are not that strict in these forums, since they are not overly active. so im not going to get picky, that was just more of a suggestion (as i think it would make a good discussion topic

lReef lKeeper
03-06-2007, 11:10 PM
i think it would make a good discussion topic too, but ... SPS can be AWFULLY hard to possitively ID.