PDA

View Full Version : Silicone

DEdwards
12-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Is there a suggested type of silicone caulking to use on aquariums? I just purchased (and used) a 100% silicone caulking that states not to be used on aquariums. Of course I didn't see the fine print on the label until i went to check the cure time. This is 100% silicone, clear if that helps at all. Any idea why it's labeled not for use on aquariums and should I remove it now before any issues may arise?

Thanks

fat walrus
12-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Is there a suggested type of silicone caulking to use on aquariums? I just purchased (and used) a 100% silicone caulking that states not to be used on aquariums. Of course I didn't see the fine print on the label until i went to check the cure time. This is 100% silicone, clear if that helps at all. Any idea why it's labeled not for use on aquariums and should I remove it now before any issues may arise?

Thanks
Get it out now.

DEdwards
12-24-2006, 11:29 PM
any explanations and suggested types of silicone?

fat walrus
12-24-2006, 11:41 PM
any explanations and suggested types of silicone?I forgot what it is, but something is leached out of some silicones. I was never able to find the right kind at Home Depot. LFS sells tubes labeled from DAP (Down-Corning) and from All-Glass.

V
12-25-2006, 01:38 AM
firstly let your other stuff cure, then grab a razor blade to remove it. Use care with your acrylic tanks, ive heard them scratch up easy. If you have glass, you can pretty much go to town on it without much problem. wipe down the corners with white vinager, & let stand for a few hours to dry completely.

Blubbers on the money with 'all-glass silcon' U cant go wrong there. In reallity there are cheaper types availible. (speaking from my american worldy experience- not) as long as it doesn't contain excessivly fast curing agents or anti mould/mildue agents your sweet & safe. Check the lables in future, & bath in the salt & vingar smell when applying. lol

RB could inform us on the new way black stuff they are applying over in the EU.

fat walrus
12-25-2006, 02:14 AM
firstly let your other stuff cure, then grab a razor blade to remove it. Use care with your acrylic tanks, ive heard them scratch up easy. If you have glass, you can pretty much go to town on it without much problem. wipe down the corners with white vinager, & let stand for a few hours to dry completely.

Blubbers on the money with 'all-glass silcon' U cant go wrong there. In reallity there are cheaper types availible. (speaking from my american worldy experience- not) as long as it doesn't contain excessivly fast curing agents or anti mould/mildue agents your sweet & safe. Check the lables in future, & bath in the salt & vingar smell when applying. lol

RB could inform us on the new way black stuff they are applying over in the EU.
We've been using black silicone here forever. In fact, the old metal frame tanks were usually black silicone.

DEdwards
12-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys. I figured all 100% silicone was in fact 100%. Gotta love misleading labeling. I'll get around to getting it off. So far I hadn't applied much of it before I really read the label.

Raggamuffin
12-25-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't think I have found a LFS anywhere that did not have "aquarium sealant" which is nothing more then the correct type of silicone, it may run a buck or two more then the same exact stuff at home depot but you don't have to run through the ingredients list at all. :) if you can't find any PM me, my LFS sells the AGA stuff and shipping aint nothing LOL it's light.

fat walrus
12-27-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't think I have found a LFS anywhere that did not have "aquarium sealant" which is nothing more then the correct type of silicone, it may run a buck or two more then the same exact stuff at home depot but you don't have to run through the ingredients list at all. :) if you can't find any PM me, my LFS sells the AGA stuff and shipping aint nothing LOL it's light.
Well said!

You might spend a few dollars more at the LFS, but you could very well have saved a few dollars if you had checked with them first. ;)

George
12-27-2006, 09:56 AM
You can get the right stuff in Home Depot and Lowes, it's just confusing to find amidst the dozens of items on that isle that sound right. The 100% silicone sealant that is *not* mildew resistant or antimicrobial will work.

This DAP Silicone (http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=25) is the right stuff as it is FDA approved for food use.

The key seems to be meeting "FDA Regulation 21 CFR 177.2600"

V
01-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Blub, using the black stuff for years hey?
It never took off here,& i didn't know america used it.
Pro's Cons?

CarmieJo
01-09-2007, 02:06 AM
My first 10 gallon metal framed tank had black silicon and a slate (or something not see through) bottom.