PDA

View Full Version : DIY overflow?

gerh
12-24-2006, 04:43 AM
Hi,

Im kind of new to this, so pardon if this sounds like a stupid idea. I was pricing overflow boxes and trying to figure out how they work. It seems that there is a potential for a syphon loss when a power failure occurs.

Rather than running a syphon overflow, can I not just modify a hang on back filter as an overflow? The only problem I can see is the amount of water being pumped. Am I overlooking something obvious?

Amphibious
12-24-2006, 08:26 AM
No idea can be deemed stupid until you try it and fail. Then we can say, "That was stupid". :rotfl:

Without going into a long rant here, I'd say you are facing a few unknowns. There are many models of hang on the back filters, whose to say none could be adapted to be an overflow. Off the top of my head I can't think of how it would be feasible. You could spend more money on buying filters and trying to adapt them than just buying a good hang on overflow. Not to mention the frustration and floods you're likely to experience.

As far as a siphon loss with a power failure, there must be a design out there that takes this into consideration and has solved the problem. Some one with experience in hang-on overflows will chime in here. I haven't used one since I went to Acrylic aquariums way back in the early '70s. So, I'm not familiar with the newer designs of hang-on overflows.

PSH
12-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Well Timanator did something like you are talking about. HOB filter overflow (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/3034-20-gal-long-inspired-propagator.html)

Now my thoughts on having it as an underneath sump overflow. I am not sure the little pump and tubing from the HOB filter will be strong enough to keep up with a sump pump. Plus getting the HOB filter drain hole in just to right spot to keep enough water in it so in case of power failure it will start back up. You can imagine what would happen if it didn't.

I have a ProClear HOB overflow. I haven't touched it since I set the tank up earlier this year. My LFS has several that have been running for many years. You could always drill the tank.

Rob
01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
there is a video podcast on Overflow boxes, that shoudl give you a better understanding of how they hold a siphon during a power outage..
details here
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/1867-top-offs-overflows-podcast-episode-63-a.html?highlight=overflow

gerh
01-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks Rob, I found that podcast after I posted here. Is there no way to sort the podcasts by topic or episode? Its a tremendous wealth of information, but its kind of hard to sort through.

Rob
01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
yes, this is exactly my goal for the we interface thingy.. ;)