PDA

View Full Version : Starting Up!

Sulewskid
12-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I am just starting up in saltwater and just wanted to say hi to everyone. Not sure if Rob reads these but I just wanted to let him know that his podcasts are great! I don't have much time to sit and read all of the forums so it's good to be able to put a couple of episodes on my mp3 player to listen to while driving to work.

I got a used FOWLR 30 gal aquarium and right now I just have the rock sitting in it as I start looking for equipment to try and upgrade it to a reef system. Any advice from people would be appreciated... lighting, pump, sump setup. I have 2 compact fluorescents right now that came with the tank, and a Fluval 204 filter.

Rob
12-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Welcome to Talkingreef..
i do read the forums from time to time.. ;) (thanks for the compliments)

as for your system, are you planning on it staying FOWRL, or are you planning on setting up a coral tank of some type?

lReef lKeeper
12-21-2006, 08:04 PM
the PC's will be alright for some corals, and for some they wont. so it really depends on what type of corals you are thinking about keeping.

i would ALWAYS recommend a sump/refugium if there is room available. they make a great place for pod reproduction.

the only downer that i see is the tank size ... with it being small it does not really allow for any error or learning curve on your part. the more water you have the more it will take for you water parameters to get out of wack. make sense ??

CarmieJo
12-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Hi sulewskid,

:welcome: to TR.

Amphibious
12-26-2006, 09:11 PM
http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Community, sulewskid.

Lots of friendly, knowledgable reefers here on TR. We're happy you joined the family.

Dick

lcstorc
12-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Welcome to TR. The first investment I would make is a good skimmer. Then depending on what you want to keep I would start looking at lights.
Meanwhile keep reading/listening. There are lots of people willing to offer advice and assistance.

duke1231
12-26-2006, 09:43 PM
research, research, and more research. I did all that and when it came time to do it I still have lots of questions, and here at talking reef they are always willing to help out, and they know thier stuff. :) p.s. welcome!!

Sulewskid
12-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I have been spending a bunch of time reading up on the forums and everything. I think that for right now I would like to do a reef tank, but starting off with just softies or whatever I can grow under the PC's.

Right now I have the tank set up, and I am just running water through a Fluval 204 without any filtration in just to keep the water moving, along with a heater to keep the water temp up. I have 20 lbs of live rock in there... is the live rock going to stay live with the setup I have or do i need to like "feed" it with shrimp or something? I don't have any fish or coral in it.

Right now I am going to build a sump/refugium, buy a skimmer, and I need to get a return pump and some powerheads to get the flow up, along with some sand. Does anyone have any opinions on what kind of skimmer to get? Also, do you guys think an acrylic or glass sump would be easier? I have read all about Melev's sumps but it seems that maybe just finding an old glass aquarium would be easier than building one from acrylic.

Dan

lcstorc
12-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Pretty much any container that holds water will do for the sump/fuge. As to the skimmer I am partial to ASM. They have always given me great preformance.

gwen_o_lyn
12-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Welcome to TR :)

No need to feed the rock- there is plenty of die off occuring to feed any little critters that may be running around.