PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead Placement

mdavis203
02-09-2006, 12:47 AM
On a past show, you discussed current and powerhead placement. I have a 55 gallon and I think that a 400-500 gpm powerhead in each back corner of the tank pointed either at each other or toward the front of the tank would be best. However, I don't think you ever discussed the depth of the powerheads. Should these be near the surface of the water? About midway down? Various depths? I realize you shouldn't get too close to the sand, of course, but I was wondering if varying depths would be beneficial.

DAVE

Rob
02-09-2006, 01:33 AM
top placement is normal. you can usually point them down a little bit and thats usually enough. if you find you are getting dead spots, then adjust so you can get them covered.

there are many things that can play into this. if you are using a sump and an overflow box or something then surface isn't as much of a concern (cause its goals are accomplished by the overflow) and you can keep them lower (or pointed lower) in the tank.
but, if you dont have an overflow its important to keep good surface movement to break up excess protein build up and promote gas exchange..

hope that helps
if you have more question let me know.. :)

gwen_o_lyn
02-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Welcome to TR Mdavis203!! :)

mdavis203
02-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks!! Loving the show. I'm listening to the old episodes and learning lots! You're doing a great job, Rob. I have a lot of things I'd like to ask, but I want to listen to the rest of the shows to make sure I'm not repeating.

Rob
02-10-2006, 01:03 AM
no problem.. feel free to ask.
if i have covered them we will point you to the show, if not we will answer.. either way, dont worry about it.. no harm.. :)