PDA

View Full Version : The adding of Mexican turbos

lareef
12-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi All, I need to know what affect Mexican turbos will have on my coraline algae. Don't want to lose all that I have gained!

JustDavidP
12-20-2006, 03:10 PM
None... the turbos like film algae, and some have been reported to eat other kinds of "turf algae". None, from what I have learned, eat coraline. Again, they are in to "micro" algae. Mine will also eat nori and although they don't touch the Caulerpa serrulata, they do like prolifera.

D

lareef
12-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks! What are your thoughts on how many to add to a 70 gal. From all I have heard it about 1 per 5 gal. This seems high to me as I have other smaller varieties as well.

JustDavidP
12-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Well... I use about 1 for every 5 gallons..and I have about 1 nassarius for every two gallons. I also have 1 astrea per 5 gallons, and a handfull of ceriths... finally, I have about a gazillion collonista snails in my system that came as hitch hikers.

Basically, if there is a food source (algae for most, meaty foods as well for the nassarius) then they will thrive. If you have a new tank, with little algae, you may not be able to keep a lot of snails...

I add more snails (about a dozen or so) every year as I tend to lose some to the hermit crabs and other natural causes.

Dave

BrianPlankis
12-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I think there are some better snails than mexican turbos (typically cold water snails not suited for reef tank temps). Putting appropriate warm water snails in your tank that are capable of breeding help keep your tank clean and there is no need to replace any, you can even export some to other reefers! :D

Unfortunately I'm about to disappear until after Christmas. I'll try to reply in more detail after Christmas.

Brian

lcstorc
12-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Turbos also have a reputation as buldozers and they will knock down anything not really secure in the tank including corals and even smaller clams.

lareef
12-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Just the word BULLDOZER is enough for me!! Don't need that issue. Have enough already on a good day. Thanks ROB

CarmieJo
12-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi lareef,

:welcome: to TR.

Louie3
01-28-2007, 11:51 PM
MY turbos are really good for hair algea, I have 3 of them about golfball size! I keep 10 snails 2 big golf ball ones and 8 med-sm ones in a 10g. They work really well on the glass and they will not clean rocks IME

Seahorsedreams
01-29-2007, 12:30 AM
I have 1 and it climbs on every surface.... mainly the rocks. Bulldozer is a very appropriate name.