PDA

View Full Version : Crap! My firefish isn't doing so well

Astrivian
12-17-2006, 07:20 PM
NUTS! AHHHHHHH i cant stand it!

My poor little firefish is having issues! I did a water change but didn't check the temperature of the incoming water. noob Turns out it was like 50 degrees F. When i saw the poor little fish hide in the corner panting, i wondered what was wrong. Sure enough, i put my finger in the water and it was cold cold cold. Tank temp dropped from 77F to 60F in seconds. ooohhhhh i am such an idiot

Luckily i had a 150watt heater in my FW tank so i took it out of there, washed it in vinegar and stuck it in the nano. I got the temp back up in a few minutes but the fish is still not doing well. He comes out and swims for a few seconds, but then hides in the corner panting again. Will it recover? or am i doomed?

wwest
12-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Im not sure about the fish life but you always want to bring the temp up or down slowly.

Astrivian
12-17-2006, 07:25 PM
oh good....mistake number two :(

where's my prozac.....

CarmieJo
12-19-2006, 12:43 AM
How's your firefish?

Astrivian
12-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I see it swimming around some, but then it goes back in the corner and sits. Maybe it will pull through. I am still hopefull. I see definite improvement as time goes on.

gwen_o_lyn
12-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Yup just like Wes said, do ALL changes very slowly. This is very important when it comes to chemistry too.

I'm gonna assume that you tested salinity, but forgot about temp. Just keep in mind that step one is to get the temp correct because the temperature is one of the single most important factors influencing accurate refractometer/hydrometer readings and is one of the largest sources of error in measurement.

Glad your fish is ok.

Danamck
12-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Is your Firefish eating? This would be the first indicator as to whether things are looking up or down. And keep an eye out for ich (when he's out - is he flashing (ie scratching) against the rocks. Quick environment changes, in particular temp changes, can result in ich outbreaks. I've experienced this first hand.

Best of luck to you and your fish. Keep us informed.

Astrivian
12-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Yes it is eating now, and quite well. I see him hide still, but he is a bit of a chicken anyway, but he does come out to swim and eat. I think he might be okay, but i will definitely keep an eye out for ick. He is white, so the spots will not be easy to see, but i will look for thrashing on the rocks.

I can't believe i make such a dumb mistake. :doh:

Danamck
12-20-2006, 11:49 AM
We all make mistakes - as caring fish and reef keepers, we learn from them.

Seahorsedreams
12-20-2006, 01:05 PM
We should make a mistake thread.... I have a few.