PDA

View Full Version : 12 Gal. Mushroom Farm

ArmeyOfTanks
12-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I first got this tank given to me from a friend about a year ago. It was barely even cycled and all the rocks were just plain white.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/ArmeyGal/Assorted%20Photos/Saltwater%20Tank/?action=view&current=100_7227.jpg
I have had it go through some weird stages from that yucky brown cyanobacteria that it had when given to me originally to hair algea so long that it was literally covering everything and about 3 inches long.
heres a pic after I added a few corals you can see some of the hair algea when it first started around the star polyp.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/ArmeyGal/Assorted%20Photos/Saltwater%20Tank/?action=view&current=eee983be.jpg
I went through a few weeks of messing with the fission skimmer and decided to throw it away..After talking with a friend of mine who I trust my fish with her life she basically convinced me that if I am doing the weekly water changes on the tank and the fact that when I do them I change out about 5-6 gallons at a time I'm doing the same job as the skimmer would have done. I had also added a algea blenny.. "the lawnmower" ones for a while but am thinking the emerald crabs ate him.
Here is a current tank shot. I still don't have a pilithura of corals but as you can see its a big difference from the plain white rocks I was originally given.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/ArmeyGal/Assorted%20Photos/Saltwater%20Tank/?action=view&current=Picture061.jpg
I currently have several small zooanthids that I am hoping take off, a frogspawn.. that came with some weird orange type polyps on the stalk I will probably post a pic and let everyone take a guessing game as to what they are. I also have two different colored pulsing xenias, pink and purple, I have a star xenia, purple mushrooms out the wazoo.. anyone local want any frags????? seriously!!!!
I have some buttons that were given to me from a friend after he tried to kill them but now under my care they seems to be coming back to life. I also have a bright orange Florida ricordia. Some of the things I have bought from a local store.. they have the best selection I have seen and sell small frags for around 10 bucks.. I plan on making a few purchases every few weeks now..LOL
I just got word that I have a rodi unit on its way.. so I am going to start trying to make my own water... U must know, this scares the bageebees out of me.. but I plan on setting up another tank a 55 or 75 for a reef soo I'm going to have to get it right.
Ohh I also have about 8 turbo snails, some cerith snails, a mini star fish, two emerald crabs that are free to good home if anyone wants them!!!! 1 scarlet hermit, 1 blue legged hermit, and 1 mystery hermit. I will try to upddate this as time goes and I get more corals and will also try to give regular updates on the other project. I am in the process of selling a car just to buy stuff for the other project...LMAO.. this is addictive!!!!!!!!1

ArmeyOfTanks
12-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I noticed after I posted this a few mins ago it didnt show any of the links so heres the link to my photobucket page.ArmeyGal/Assorted Photos/Saltwater Tank - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/ArmeyGal/Assorted%20Photos/Saltwater%20Tank/)

CarmieJo
12-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Your tank is looking good.

PSH
12-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Looks like it's coming along nicely.

ArmeyOfTanks
12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Thank you both... I went to the store yesterday and added a brain type coral.. not sure on the whole name.. chad at gatewayaquatics said its really hardy tho.. so it should do well in my tank its kinda orange with green stripes. My first stony coral that I know of.. I have a purple thing that was given to me thats starting to resemble something I saw in one of the tanks at the store yesterday soo.. im thinking it might be one but have to get the name.. my husband starts talking so much I forget to ask my questions.. well atleast hes interested.. unlike my cichlids..lol