PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Chip Star

Kassun
02-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Thought i'd post a lesson I learned when I first started up reef keeping a few years ago. I went to the LFS and saw a chocolate chip star, bought it because it looked cool. Got home acclimated him and put him in my tank. Slowly over the course of 2 weeks I noticed that my soft coral population was shrinking. I spent a night with a red light looking into my tank and found the culprate. It was the star fish eating a late night snack. Lesson learned and brought hime back to the LFS. :)

-Kassun

Reefbaby
02-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks for sharing Kassun! Yeah, unfortunately, the items that look the coolest in the LFSs sometimes aren't researched enough as to whether they really belong in our tanks! They are beautiful though!

Rob
02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
hence the term "reef safe" which chocolate chips stars are NOT.
this just re-enforces the fact that you should research what you get before you get it.. :)

thanks for bringing it up, hopefully it prevents others from having similar issues

gwen_o_lyn
02-08-2006, 11:38 PM
And don't forget to bring your reef books to the LFS so you can look stuff up when needed ;)

Kevin McG
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
And don't forget to bring your reef books to the LFS so you can look stuff up when needed ;)

Exactly!

We have all done this at one time or another though :rolleyes:

Pick up 2 books, both are paperback for easy transport. When making a trip to the LFS I always make sure they are in the car with me.

1. A Pocketexpert Guide: Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential to Know Aquarium Species
Scott W. Michael, Janine Cairns-Michael (Photographer) Link (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=1q6wp03DKQ&isbn=1890087386&itm=1)

2. A Pocket Expert Guide Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species.
Ronald L. Shimek
Link (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=1q6wp03DKQ&isbn=1890087661&itm=1)

mopecula
02-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Reminds me of a friend who bought one and that star killed/ate all his corals. He never was able to get over that mistake. Poor guy quit the hobby.

swiseman
08-17-2006, 08:42 PM
This is not very scientific, but, if the star has knobs on it, like the chips, it is not reef safe.

CarmieJo
08-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Hi Swiseman,

:welcome: to TR

kj_yoda
08-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Welcome to TR! I try to stay away from most sea stors, except serpent and brittle ones b/c they are great in a reef tank

wwest
08-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Welcome Swiseman!!

I started off with a Chocolate star but due to what i think was improper aclamation he started to fall apart so i gave him away to a friend that has a reef tank. it regenerated and has been in the tank now since about april. the only thing i hear him complaining about is its always knocking over the corals and making everyone mad. he plans on getting rid of it to a FO tank.