PDA

View Full Version : adding a metal halide to my tank. HELP!

iglowce
12-14-2006, 01:22 PM
i currently have a jbj 24'' system wt 2 actinics and 2 whites. the guy says its 65watts. i dont know what the total is. is it 65w for each bulb, therefore 65x4? or 65w for each strip (one for the blue and one for the white), therefore 65x2? can someone help me clarify on my total wattage.

another thing is i'm slowing adding SPS now after being in the hobby for almost a year now and following all the Podcast. im thinking of adding a clip on metal halide to supplement my tank. i have 2 links below to the 2 models im interested in. let me know what you guys think about each model. THANKS!!!!!

JBJ K-2 Viper HQI Clamp on Lamp Lighting Fixture - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_jbj_k2_viper_hqi_cl amp.asp?CartId=)

Coralife Aqualight Advanced Lighting Fixtures - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_coralife_aqualight_ advanced.asp?CartId=)

:agree: :agree: :agree:

JustDavidP
12-14-2006, 01:56 PM
i currently have a jbj 24'' system wt 2 actinics and 2 whites. the guy says its 65watts. i dont know what the total is. is it 65w for each bulb, therefore 65x4? or 65w for each strip (one for the blue and one for the white), therefore 65x2? can someone help me clarify on my total wattage.

Look at the bulbs :) they should be clearly marked.

another thing is i'm slowing adding SPS now after being in the hobby for almost a year now and following all the Podcast. im thinking of adding a clip on metal halide to supplement my tank. i have 2 links below to the 2 models im interested in. let me know what you guys think about each model. THANKS!!!!!

I'm not a fan of clip on lights. They can fall off, and they create a "Halo" affect in the room that I don't like. I put all my lights in a hood of sorts. However, after looking at these lights, I have the following comment:

They both come only up to 150W. I'm not sure what size tank you have, but that is kind of low for SPS...unless it is in a 20 gallon tank :) I'd go with 175's or higher, depending on the corals, and depth of the tank. However, being DE, I've been told that they are more intense than the SE bulbs I typically use.

D

iglowce
12-14-2006, 02:08 PM
i have a 20 gl. i think imma go back and check. my plan is to push the jbj system toward the front. and have the clip on to the back to add more light. what u think?

JustDavidP
12-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Wow...that is plenty of light for a 20 gallon. Honestly, I'd ask one question...

How long before you upgrade your tank? We ALL do. I started with a 20, then got another, then bought a 75..and then another 29... and now I have a mini version of the New England Aquarium :)

The reason I ask is that you may just want to upgrade your whole system and if you do, the 150W may not be enough.

I'm not sure if you can position both of those light fixtures in a way that gets maximum use of both lights. The MH will most certainly "flood" as the light works downward and will be blocked by the PC fixture. In turn, the PC fixture may get too hot with the MH glaring down on it.

Dave

Rob
12-14-2006, 02:29 PM
yes, and if you are planning an upgrade anytime in the future, you can make sure you buy equipment now that can be re-used on the new system.

personally, 150 is probably fine on the 20 gallon, but if you upgrade, its probably wont help much for the new system depending on the size of the new system of course

iglowce
12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
right now i dont think i will upgrade. but when i move i will convert my freshwater 60gl to salt. however that wont be till next year. but my main concern now are 2 things:
1. if its gonna be too much light?
2. and if i can fix that fixture in?

i think to solve the second concern, i need to go to the store and look at the size. or remove the pc system and turn on MH whenever i am home. and let the pc runs on its own calender