PDA

View Full Version : Start of Project DIBS Project - Looking for members help

Rob
12-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Hello Talkingreef members

Project DIBS is about to start its first high school experiment on breeding marine invertebrates, where 12th Grade Aquatic Science students will examine reproductive characteristics of a Columbellid sp. snail. The experiment will be supported by the Project DIBS and TalkingReef communities and we would like to record a brief introductory audio segment to play to the students when the experiment begins as a way to welcome the students into the community.

We would like to get a welcoming statement, such as "This is Rob from Michigan, Welcome to TalkingReef" or "This is Chuck coming at you from the Philippines, Welcome to Project DIBS" recorded in English and Spanish. Plus another message such as "Looking forward to your results" or "Can't wait to hear about your results" (There will be a podcast covering the results of the experiment). The idea is to give the students the idea that their results will be appreciated by a large audience in many states and countries. Feel free to be creative as possible, but keep your comments to no more than 30 seconds, preferrably 15 seconds.

If you speak both English and Spanish, please feel free to leave a greeting in both languages

You can record your audio comments using the following methods
Comment line: at http://www.talkingreef.com (blue block on the left side of the page)
Telephone: 586-486-3357

and then we will compile them as a single greeting.

Thanks,
Rob and Brian

BrianPlankis
12-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Thanks for posting this Rob! I hope we can get people from all over the world to lend their voice :) Knowing people outside of the classroom are also interested in their work tends to motivate students to do better work and as a result they learn a lot more, which is the ultimate goal anyway.

I should have told you Rob that we should have all audio entries by December 28th so we have time to compile them into a greeting.

Brian

BrianPlankis
12-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I left a little message for the start of the intro. I'm assuming it takes a little time to upload, but you guys are welcome to expand upon it once it is up on the list.

Brian

Rob
12-12-2006, 11:03 PM
the intro has been received.. :)
i have not posted it on the public comment line box, but if you want me to i can

BrianPlankis
12-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Go ahead and post it, that way people can hear it as an example. We need to get you to record one too :)

Brian

Rob
12-13-2006, 10:46 AM
ME!! record something..
i don't know Brian.. i'm a little shy about that kinda thing.. ;)

(comment has been posted publicly)

BrianPlankis
12-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Come on Rob, just buckle down and record a short 15 second intro, you can do it little buddy! :D

Could you update this thread every few days with how many audio bits you have received? Especially from which countries and if you have received any Spanish intros?

Brian

Rob
12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
will do.. as of this point you are the only one, i will have mine done be the end of the week..

come on people, we need your help, please take a minute and help the project my recording a little intro.. :)

Small Fry
12-13-2006, 09:21 PM
you guys should come do this at my highschool, make things a little more interesting to me :D

Rob
12-14-2006, 12:34 AM
yeah, brian, go international.. :)
windsor, thats a rock throw away from me.. :)

BrianPlankis
12-14-2006, 01:52 AM
you guys should come do this at my highschool, make things a little more interesting to me :D

That might be able to happen in the future :) If you leave a little audio welcome for this one, maybe can work something out in the future :D

Seriously, after this experiment is completed, I will be looking at the total cost of the experiment, the results and preparing grant proposals to get funding for a larger experiment in multiple high schools as my dissertation. We already have a school in Chicago interested :D

One of the things that will be generated out of this experiment is the procedures and methodologies used, so any school around the globe that would be willing to coordinate through the Project DIBS website could potentially participate in the larger study. Of course getting access to livestock internationally would probably be the biggest hurdle.

But first we need to complete this initial study and motivate the students to do a good job, so record those welcomes! Even the simple ones such as "Hey this is Markus from Oregon, looking forward to your results!" will be very helpful.

Brian

rbeleno
12-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes, I support Brian's work coming up north to Canada, although I'm in Toronto, I visit Windsor every few weeks - great city to visit, but Toronto is definitely much larger and our reefing community is huge. I also like to drop over to Mexican town across the border (near Detroit, Michigan) for some good Mexican food, we don't have much up here in Canada.

Anyways, back on the topic, Brian/Rob, where exactly am I recording my voice on the left - what Blue Box? Is it the COMMENT LINE Box? Also, is my recording going to be public on the website or just for the kids of the project?

I got the great opportunity to meet up with Brian at MACNA this year and looking forward to seeing him either at IMAC or MACNA again next year.

Last question, where's the highschool located regarding this project - did I miss it somewhere? Is it back in Houston?

Ron
(from Toronto, Canada)

Rob
12-15-2006, 10:10 PM
the comments are only for the project, brian asked to make his comment public just as an example

yes you can use the blue comment line box on the left side of the page
right above where it says, powered by MyChingo

you can also call in using your phone or skype as noted in the first post, or if you want to get real fancy, you can email me an mp3 of your recording.. what every is best for you

BrianPlankis
12-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Last question, where's the highschool located regarding this project - did I miss it somewhere? Is it back in Houston?

Ron
(from Toronto, Canada)

Ron,

Thanks for the support! The high school is in a suburb of Houston, TX. Once this experiment is complete, I hope to involve multiple schools for my dissertation, I don't see why we couldn't include Canada, if we can get inverts there of course.

I hope to see you at IMAC or MACNA again as well, still working on going to one of them.

Looks like Rob got to the rest of your questions.

Brian

Rob
12-16-2006, 07:12 PM
just FYI, i already have tickets for MACNA 2007, so Brian, if you have to choose, pick that one.. :D

Rob
12-19-2006, 01:56 AM
we are up to 1 voicemail (excluding Brian's)

Thanks Ron B for the message

BrianPlankis
12-20-2006, 11:01 PM
The deadline for voice messages has been extended to January 10th, I really hope we can get a welcome in Spanish by then.

Thanks for your help Rob and Ron!

Brian

CarmieJo
12-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Did you get mine on Skype? If I sounded too stupid let me know and I will re-do it.

Rob
12-21-2006, 07:28 PM
YES!! carmie.. thanks
both English and Spanish.. i love it..

i will edit as needed (you know what i mean;) )

Rob
12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
New Total

1 - English Message
1 - English/Spanish Message

Come one Folks, just a few seconds of your time, it will help out a lot.. :) if you have question on how to do this, please done hesitate to ask

CarmieJo
12-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks. :)

Where's Manny been? His tank-cam has been off line too. I guess that maybe he is still moving. Too bad, he could help with the English/Spanish.

thesaent14
12-22-2006, 06:51 PM
hey guys i tink i have to edit the mesg lol i was shy

CarmieJo
12-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Well, I know that you couldn't have needed any more editing than I did.

BrianPlankis
12-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the contributions! I'm looking forward to listening to them and I'm glad we got a Spanish message as well!

Brian

Rob
12-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Total is still
1 - English Message
1 - English/Spanish Message

Manny, if you sent one in, i didn't get it..

thesaent14
12-27-2006, 10:26 PM
rob check it out now i did it agen ups lol

CarmieJo
12-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Manny,

Don't laugh too hard at my accent.

thesaent14
12-28-2006, 12:13 AM
carmiejo i will never do that just remember this i was borne in domincan republic no english there i came here and learn how to speack and type a litel lol so i know how hard is to learn another language i give you the :rock: :showoff:

CarmieJo
12-28-2006, 02:21 AM
:) but I know I sound pretty American.

Rob
12-28-2006, 07:43 PM
thanks manny, i got them, one requst..
if you could call one more time...
the message should welcome people to Talkingreef and project dibs (or just project DIBS), not just talkingreef.. :)

thanks

thesaent14
01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
hey new msg done sorry for the dilay lol