PDA

View Full Version : 46 bow & 20 ref sump

ERL
02-07-2006, 02:44 PM
What kind of lightning do suggest for a 46 gallon bow front to support most corals? Also lighting for a 20 gallon refugium sump.
Right now I have 3 fixtures.
1) 2 ballast jalli with two 96 watt power compacts.
2) 1 ballast retro kit with one 55 watt power compact.
3) 1 florestest strip that came with the tank (not sure about the watts)

I was think #1 & #2 on the display & #3 on the sump.
Or do I need more wattage, better lights??

I figured that 2 x 96watts + 55 watts % 46 gallons = 5.4 watts per gallon.
What types of coral would that suppurt?

gwen_o_lyn
02-07-2006, 03:25 PM
You should be fine with softies and some LPS with the Pc's... I wouldn't recommend an anemone or a clam though, although some people do have success.

ERL
02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Which softies and LPS would you suggest?

Right now I have Xenia, Zoos, Branching Hammer, Plate coral,
Mushrooms, Trumpet (neon green candy cane), & Starburst Polyp in my 29 gallon using just the 2x96 watt power compacts.

What other corals could I do with 5.4 wpg in the 46 gallon?

What would I need for an anemone & SPS, how many watts per gallon, need for metal halights?

gwen_o_lyn
02-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Here is what I have: Ricordea, favia brain, green star polyps, colt coral, toadstool coral and most the stuff u mentioned.

I have 4-65 watt PC bulbs on my 72 gal bow, I don't care for the watts per gallon analysis- it's not that accurate. That are many other factors to consider.

I do have SPS in my tank right now- it came encrusted on some rock that I recently purchased from a tank break down- what people are telling me is that it will prolly live, but won't keep its pretty colors and may turn brown. I have the SPS way high up in the tank to better its chances of survival.

I won't try an anemone because I've read too many failure stories on them under PC's. I feel really bad when I kill something so I make sure to have perfect conditions before I even try and its just my personal choice that I would never try one unless I have metal halides. Plus it seems they can be a pain sometimes when they move around.

I'm not sure how deep a 46 gallon tank is, but I'm thinking either 2-150w or 2-250w with supplements would prolly work depending on the depth.

JustDavidP
02-07-2006, 04:29 PM
The refugium could be lit with pretty much anything in the right spectrum. I use a Lights of America 65K floodlight from Home Depot over my refugium/sumps. I got it at HD for like 18 dollars.

You could keep softies and some LPS under those PC's. If you want to go to metal halide, you'd need just one. Typical guidance on MH lighting, is one lamp for every 2 feet of tank or 4 square feet of surface area. The bulb wattage is
determined by tank depth – 175w for up to 18 inches, 2 50w for 18” to 36”, 400w for 24” to 36”, and 1,000w for over 36”.

Dave

JustDavidP
02-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Ooops... 45 Gallon=36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 23 3/4 So two lamps should work.

D

ERL
02-07-2006, 05:21 PM
It is a 46 gallon bow.
37wide x 16.5 deep x 28.25" tall

Rob
02-07-2006, 09:00 PM
ok, i will add my 2 cents here,
i agree with most of what is being said. first of yes, the wpg is not a good thing to use. it has some uses, but in this case ignore it. you will be fine with most any coral that has low to moderate needs. i could list them but some have already been listed and the list could go on for pages. so research what you want and see if it will work.

clams, likely not. maybe some of the lower light clams like Derasa or Squamosa, basically the ones that are not colorful, the ones that are brown and gold. again this is a might... not a for sure.

as for the stony coral commonly used under high light, i wouldnt try. it is possible, but i there are many factors that need to be modified to pull it off.

and lastly, i have to comment on the anemone thing.
anemone's need good light, but some can be kept under PC bulbs. i have successfully kept rose BTA, green BTA and seabae anemones under PC lights for long periods of time. i had a RBTA under PC for over a year before moving it to my tank with MH light, and i currently have a GBTA in a 29 gallon with 2 65w PC in it.
that said, some anemones (like carpets) need much more light so dont try that...lol