PDA

View Full Version : Sand Bed

gerh
12-11-2006, 02:20 AM
So I am again asking for advice.

Before I found this site, my LFS suggested I use a mixture of Florida Crushed Coral and Arag-Alive live sand. I bought a 15 bag of CC and a 10lb bag of the live sand. This gave my 55 gallon tank about a 1" bed.

I posted on this forum and was told that the CC will cause problems. Since I spent $50 on the live sand and coral which is now mixed together, do I have to start over or can I mix in some play sand as a filler?

On the topic of play sand use, I cannot find the sand that everyone reccommends. I have looked around for all the names mentioned and cannot find anything simular. Any suggestions on Quikrete Medium or All Purpose sands?

CarmieJo
12-11-2006, 03:24 AM
You can use the vinegar test on the sand to see if it is aragonite. Just put a teaspoon of it in a jar of vinegar and see if it dissolves.

Amphibious
12-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Any suggestions on Quikrete Medium or All Purpose sands?Personally, I wouldn't use either of those. They are silica based and may cause problems with algae and diatom outbreaks. Here's a link to an earlier thread on TR about the product we're recommending.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/general-marine-discussions/2391-southdown-sand.html#post30981

I have not found it here in FL but, they are finding it at some Home Depots, in the garden dept.

Take the SKU# in with you and ask them to do a search on their computer. I haven't done that yet, here.

Good luck.

George
12-11-2006, 10:42 AM
For buying Southdown/aragonite sand, check with commercial contractors in your area or small construction supply houses. They typically have avenues to buy it for construction purposes on a per-contract basis that the corporate entity stores like Home Depot and Lowes can't fit in their purchasing plans.

gerh
12-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Found it!
http://bp0.blogger.com/_x32MjDBmH_I/RYygVQ1lFzI/AAAAAAAAAAw/1t4NsrjoR6c/s320/DSC005521.JPG

Home Depot has it for about $4 a bag. The only thing I dont like about it is that its not white. I mixed it in with my live sand and crushed coral.

DEdwards
12-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Is that an aragonite based sand? Looks like it says not to use in Aquariums on the side.

PSH
12-23-2006, 10:03 AM
I think by law the bag has to say that. Something to do with the monopoly that a certain aquarium sand producer wants to hold on the hobby.

DEdwards
12-23-2006, 10:41 AM
yeah i kind of remember reading something about that a few years ago. Ofcourse it was after I posted...lol

lcstorc
12-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I would remove the cc a bit at a time using a kitchen strainer. It is the only way I have found to separate it from the sand withought tearing down the tank.

gerh
12-23-2006, 03:45 PM
I just mixed it in with my live sand and CC. It has a nice beachy look to it.