PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a Controller.

JayBeDriften
12-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Hell everyone, I am interested in purchasing a controller that will monitor my aquarium and make adjustments to the PH, temperature and other parameters of my aquarium as necessary. I would also like if it was accessible for remote monitoring and controlling over the internet as my career is starting to blossom and as a result I'm not home very much. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rob
12-11-2006, 12:16 AM
AquaController Jr (http://www.neptunesys.com/aquaControllerJr.htm)
This ones by Neptune, its there low end or economy version, they have some more high end units

Reefkeeper (http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper.html)
another more economical unit.

i have heard great things about both systems, but haven't used either, never could decide. at the end of they day they cost about the same. one is more$$ but comes with more, tho other is cheaper, but when you add that stuff on, the prices equal out.

JayBeDriften
12-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Rob, I though their was a controller on the market that allowed you to access the controller via the internet. Do you have a clue on this?

Rob
12-11-2006, 01:56 PM
yes, IIRC the large AquaController makes this possible, i think the smaller ones would require more hacking.. as in you need to run some general open source software on your computer and set it up as (or to feed) a server.

there was a thread about a month ago back where someone set this up. i think it was Scott, but i cant find the link right now

Rob
12-11-2006, 01:57 PM
on a side note, many of these application that run these controllers will work through the internet or a phone line to email or page alerts to you, but i see this as different that actually accessing the stats, or changing settings over the internet

wildeone
12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
I have an ACJr. and love it. I would recommend it to anyone, it has never failed me. In order to put it on the net, you will need to be running XP professional, but I am not. My work around is to sign up for www.logmein.com, a free site that allows you to connect to your PC from any other PC via an internet connection. Then it is as though I am in front of my PC. I just fire up the software and I can see my readings and control many of my accessories, like my pumps and lights. I detail it in my journal, I just can't remember what page it is on.

3vilPuffin
12-12-2006, 11:37 AM
My work around is to sign up for www.logmein.com, a free site that allows you to connect to your PC from any other PC via an internet connection..

Now all you need is a webcam.:up:

CarmieJo
12-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Christi,

What kind is it that you have?

JayBeDriften
12-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Rob and Wildone, thanks for the information. I usually don't like to leave my PC on when I'm not home but I remember when everyone came back from MACNA that their was a post with new aquatic toys and one was a controller that could be completely accessed via the internet without a direct Server/PC connection.

Reefbaby
12-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Christi,

What kind is it that you have?

I'm actually using an IKS. I've written quite a bit of information about it in another thread (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/436-planning-ultimate-reef-setup.html?highlight=iks), so maybe it's best to pop by there and read up on it.

So far, I'm happy with it, although it hasn't been put to the true test with my newest tank yet. But, you can basically control most things with it and it will send an SMS to you if there is an alarm, which some people might find funky.

I just talked with a fellow reefer last night at my local LFS. He had told me about a Swedish company that was making aquarium controllers, but mainly for industry. I had contacted them about a year ago, but they weren't ready for private customers on a smaller scale yet. But, Ted's bugged them so much about it over the last year that he's actually working for them now! And he's helping them to design just about everything you'd want an aquarium controller to do, even to measuring pH, alkalinity and Ca levels and dosing appropriately. Lights, dimmers, pumps, probes are of course a must as well. I'll let you all know as soon as I know more about it. I think they're planning on the price being better than IKS as well. i also mentioned to him that they should think about the US market - I think there's a lot of reefers there that would definitely be interested in having one of these doo-dads. I'll keep my ears open for you guys! :cool: