PDA

View Full Version : Still Learning

f1504b4
12-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Just thought I post an update on my progress or lack of LOL.
In my last post I told how I made the siphon break holes to high and had to do the plumbing over.I did that but at the same time I saw how I could do it better.Which is good because I increased my flow rate from 617 GPH to 648 GPH.
Unfortinatly by doing this I found out that the overflow the LFS gave me could not handle the extra 30 GPH and I had to shut it down again.Got to tell you they don't know much,what a joke I have do everything different than they told me.
Bummed out again but hey I am learning and thats good right.
For A 75 gallon aquarium thats going to be FOWLR, 648 gph is good right?
I have a 20 gallon sump under it with the pump pumping up on one side and the 1" drain plumbed to the other side of the sump behind my protein skimmer.
I plan on ordering a CPR CS100 Hang-on overflow thats rated at 800 GPH and a Tom Aquatics agua lifter dosing pump to go with it tomorrow.
Hopefully this will solve my problems.
I have a bunch of posts on what I am trying to do and learn,wish I had got more replies but thats okay I am getting there.
Hopefully I will get my computer back in the next few weeks and be able to post pictures this old junker I am using won't let me do that.
Thanks again for everyones help.
Phil

Rob
12-01-2006, 04:44 PM
ideally you want about 10x your tank per hour for FOWLR, so thats about 750 GPH, but your number of 648 is pretty darn close, once you add your skimmer you should be fine.. :)

f1504b4
12-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks Rob,with the new overflow I should be able to to get going?
How about my plumbing to the sump?

Rob
12-01-2006, 09:13 PM
looks ok to me, do you have a specific question about it?

CarmieJo
12-01-2006, 10:23 PM
You could also add flow by using another powerhead inside of your tank. This could also help prevent dead spots.

fat walrus
12-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Adding a powerhead is a good way to go. I hate to rely on all my flowrate between tank and sump anyway. I don't like all my eggs in one basket. :unsure:

f1504b4
12-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks Rob and everyone,a few more ?'s.
Should I put a set of baffles in between where my return and skimmer are in the sump and the other side where the pump is?
Has anyone seen the Pentair Aquatics Customflo Water System that Marine Depot has?I was thinking of using this instead of a power head?
Thank Phil

bklynmet
12-03-2006, 11:31 PM
You can always throttle down the flow from your return (if the return flow is too high) by putting a valve in there - between the pump and the output of the return in the tank - where it is convenient to reach.

Rob
12-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Should I put a set of baffles in between where my return and skimmer are in the sump and the other side where the pump is?
baffles are used to a. reduce bubbles and b. to segment areas. personally i would place a baffle after the skimmer, place the return and skimmer in the same compartment. but again, this is up to you...

Has anyone seen the Pentair Aquatics Customflo Water System that Marine Depot has?I was thinking of using this instead of a power head?

i have seen them, but have never used one, sorry cant offer any experience on them

V
12-05-2006, 04:08 AM
Adding a powerhead is a good way to go. I hate to rely on all my flowrate between tank and sump anyway. I don't like all my eggs in one basket. :unsure:

speaking of which....i just added 2 new super~dupper power pond pumps to the mangrove jack tank, wow, 140w 6500lt/h each. Talk about some power, the fish love it! It be like sticking your head in a jet stream..muahahahahaha*cough*hahaha

f1504b4
12-05-2006, 09:04 PM
baffles are used to a. reduce bubbles and b. to segment areas. personally i would place a baffle after the skimmer, place the return and skimmer in the same compartment. but again, this is up to you...

i have seen them, but have never used one, sorry cant offer any experience on them

If so could someone give me a diagram of how to do it?
Thanks Phil

Rob
12-06-2006, 01:20 AM
here is one of the best resources on sumps.
Marc has general designs and diagrams here

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums (http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html)