PDA

View Full Version : DIY HOB Refigium

Kassun
02-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Just started back in the hobby with a 45g tank that I got for free. All I had to do is re-silicone it . I went to Home Depot and bought 2 x 1/4" 18" x 24" pieces of plexi glass for 12.99 a piece. I found a local acrylic dealer that cut and machined the edges for me for 7.50 and bought some glue from him for 6.50. The deminsions of the finished refigium are 24" x 5" x 12".

I went to Menards and bought the 3/4" pluming supplies and an acrylic drill bit for around 15.00. The building went pretty fast as the liquid gule he gave me bonds in seconds. Did a water test after 24hrs and all is good to go. I had a cpr aquafuge on my last 29g reef but didn't want to spend the money for a new one. The Refigium came out pretty good and I saved quite a few dollars. All that is left now is the baffels. I forgot to add them in when I built it . I will be adding a basic 2" x 4" stand behind the tank to support the fuge. I ended up buying two 3/4" bulkheads because the pvc was leaking and silicone doesn't like acrylic and pvc

Scott
02-07-2006, 12:37 AM
That's a pretty cool fuge you built. I've wondered about the HOB fuges....does the back of the aquarium suffer any stress by having the added weight hanging on the back like that (know you mentioned you'd put a stand in for yours). Just curious, had debated about ordering one of the CPR HOB fuges...but decided to pickup a 20gal long and some plexiglass...and create on fuge.

Rob
02-07-2006, 12:37 AM
cool work,
are those pipes going to be strong enough to hold it to the tank with it filled up?

Rob
02-07-2006, 12:39 AM
I will be adding a basic 2" x 4" stand behind the tank to support the fuge.

lol.. sorry, totally missed that...

very cool

Kassun
02-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Since the fuge I built is so big I decided to use a few 2 x 4's on each end and middle to dispurse the weight. I suppose over time it is possible to put enough stress to cause some problems, but I am guessing. The 2 x 4's were an easy cost effective solution. I was looking at putting in a sump, but didn't want to drill out my tank. I think when I upgrade to a 75 it will be sump time. :)

-Kassun