PDA

View Full Version : Got my plumbing up and running and got wet....LOL

f1504b4
11-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I have a hang-on overflow running and just got it right I thought with a ball valve to regulate the return and make my system quiet, but I noticed I didn't have enough water in my sump,so not thinking I unplugged my pump and went to get more water for the sump.
I forgot I did no t have siphon breaks in my lines yet as I was just trying to see where water level was going to be.
As I was talking to my girlfriend and getting water I was lucky to see the flood and stop it.
Float switches won't do any good if you lose the siphon on the overflow unless you have a big enough sump?

wwest
11-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Im sorry you got wet lol

You remember the pourly drawn diagram i did for the return syphon?
Here is the link if you dont
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/new-saltwater/2629-my-75-gallon.html
Anyways that is what i was talking about. There is alot of water draining back into the sump unless you account for that in the end of the return line you will receive a lot of water, Which i'm sure you know now. :)

Sorry bud, all of us has little accidents like that. I flooded myself as well. I forgot to tighten a union lol

Most of the floats switches are for the low water level in the return pump area so you don't burn up the return pump.

gwen_o_lyn
11-27-2006, 11:34 PM
I always say "you're not a true reefer unless you've had a few floods!!"

CarmieJo
11-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Then there was the time that the powerhead I was using to mix SW twisted in the bin and shot the water straight up out of the bin and all over the living room!!

Amphibious
11-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Floods! I know floods. Sixty years in the hobby and a habit of walking away from a syphon or a filling hose and being distracted. God almighty do I know floods. In WI, all my aquariums were in the basement where floods are not to big a deal. Here in FL we don't have basements. The 135 is in my office/third bedroom. My wife put me on notice, "No floods!!!".

There's been a couple of close calls but, so far so good. http://www.theculturedreef.com/THUMB_~1.GIF

f1504b4
11-28-2006, 01:58 PM
The funny part was I knew I didn't have the holes in yet, just forgot.
Have them in there now and evrything looks good.

f1504b4
11-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I take that back,I screwed up today when I came home from work.
I drilled my holes at the water line.Don't have to tell you what a mess I had.....LOL
It's my own fault should have checked again where I wanted them but didn't just wanted to see everything working right.I made the mistake of putting them to high.
Thank you PVC it doesn't cost that much to fix you.
But maby everything happens for a reason.
Because I had brass fittings to my line-loc returns and always thought about what copper and reef aquariums but I am doing a FOWLR .
But after talking to a friend of mine and how he told me how that small peice of brass would turn green in salt water,I think I'm glad I made a mistake?

wwest
11-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Yea, i have a friend that placed a copper fitting in his tank setup and the copper slowly creaped up, thank the fish gods we caught it in time. But after that accident we ran a test and salt water eats away at copper so much that i would not personaly have it anywhere near my tank.

I am glad PVC is cheap too, i have redesigned my setup about 4 times in the three weeks its been up and running.. :)