PDA

View Full Version : missing shrooms

dadonoflaw
11-26-2006, 06:43 PM
a local reefer just gave me some free frags and i lost the two mushrooms and a wavy xenia but i took alot of the rockwork apart with no luck. these are my first corals and i would like to have had better luck. i have a coral beauty angel in my tank and i was wondering if it was him because i just put them up and its just a glue spot where it used to be.

Rob
11-26-2006, 07:57 PM
missing as in you cant find them? or as in something ate them, or they died?
shrooms and xenia cant really be glued, so if you used clue its likely they came off the rock

wwest
11-26-2006, 08:22 PM
i would have to agree with rob. Super glue Gel and soft corals like that dont work to well. I have used 2 different methods in securing soft corals.

1. Place the coral inside of a cup or something inside the tank and let the cut area heal so it doesn't have slime like stuff coming out of the cut and then glue.
2. Use a rubber band and a tooth pick and let itself bond to the rock or plug.

I have had a lot of success with both methods.

dadonoflaw
11-26-2006, 08:29 PM
i didnt know that. the guy i got the frags from told me to glue them but how should i handle it when i get other corals. i didnt see him do it and i hope he didnt cuz i would like to keep him but if it was him his beep is beeping beepity beep. sorry for the language but i want to keep corals and clams which is kinda the point of the reef.

dadonoflaw
11-26-2006, 08:32 PM
to wwest that is what i did the cup thing. the sand was sticking to the bottom of the corals and he said when that happens you can use the loctite gel and a piece of rock. what should i do?

wwest
11-26-2006, 08:38 PM
You can try watching this video for the xenia.
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/216-xenia-fragging-video-podcast-episode-29-a.html?highlight=xenia+video
That was the first fragging lesson i got and I've been using the same technique for some time. For the mushrooms i would try placing them on the rock and then simply place a rubber band loose over the mushrooms. Or you can use zip ties too. In a week they should attach. However make sure the rubber band or zip tie is loose enough where it wont split the mushrooms but tight enough to hold it.

saxman
12-05-2006, 01:38 AM
actually, a method i've found that works for shrooms and the like is to use the container, but fill it with LR rubble. sit the container in the bottom of your tank or fuge in an area where the flow won't blow them out of the container. the frags will typically attach to a piece of the rubble within a week or so and can then be glued or placed where you want them.

PreauxPhoto
12-05-2006, 04:16 PM
ok, i got some xania that is blowing against my shrooms i want to move the xania but it's attached to the same LR as the shrooms. where do you cut the xania in order not to kill it?

Rob
12-05-2006, 04:44 PM
right at the base is fine, but keep in mind, the remaining tissue will likely grow to a new Xenia colony.. :)