PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Pyramid Butterfly Hemitaurichthys polylepis

Ahab
11-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Could anybody tell me if the Yellow Pyramid Butterfly (Hemitaurichthys polylepis) is reefsafe? I´m thinking of buying but some articels says it´s safe and others that it´s not.

http://www.ciklidhuset.se/bilder/Saltvatten/20060928-fjarill-anthias3.jpg

Amphibious
11-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Pyramid Butterfly (Hemitaurichthys polylepis), a very beautiful fish found widely distributed around the Pacific.

In the wild many Butterfly fish are omnivores, eating both flesh and plant life. Some Butterfly fish are known to graze on coral polyps exclusively. The Pyramid Butterfly (Hemitaurichthys polylepis) is found in large aggregations in deeper water high above the reef feeding on plankton. It goes into the reef when threatened and at night for protection. Could it possibly feed on coral polyps while there? Don't know for sure. However, it is well documented that Butterfly fish cannot be totally trusted in the reef setup. One of the reasons is most people keeping fish of any kind under feed. Give any fish a hungry belly and he will change his feeding habits. In captivity that change might very well put coral polyps on the menu. Even if you consider yourself one that feeds heavy, it may not be enough to satisfy the Butterfly's desire for quantity and variety. It may very well feed on what ever it conveniently finds in your tank.

The bottom line is, if you get one, don't be surprised if it feeds on things you don't want it to feed on. That's the price you pay for the gamble.

fat walrus
11-24-2006, 02:40 AM
I would not risk it. But for a butterfly, they are fairly easy to keep.