PDA

View Full Version : My 75 overflow

f1504b4
11-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks Rob,and everyone here for a great site to read and learn!!!!

As I talked in my last post I was having trouble with my overflow.
I got it working just fine now with the 1" PVC and a Ball Valve.
Once I closed the ball valve up a bit and filled the return on the overflow I was able to get the siphon working and it's great no slurping noise and my water level is fine.
Dam it makes me feel good I am finally getting there I think.............LOL
Thanks again
Phil
I'm going to put my heater in the sump and see how my temp runs with the test water I have in there now.
One more ?,My sump is a 20 gallon aquarium and I have the 1" return from my overflow coming in right over my pump and have a protein skimmer that I was going to put on the other side? Is this right?
With the head lose calculator I should be getting 617 GPH,is this good for a FOWLR aquarium?
Phil

Ocelot199
11-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Best thing I can think of with regards to skimmer placement is that the powerhead for it is actually sucking up water thats coming down from your gravity feed, and not sitting in a corner filtering the same water over and over. I've got mine set up where the powerhead is sitting about 2 centimeters from my gravity feed and the overflow from my fuge, and the return PH is way off in another corner by itself. That way you're processing the water thats coming from the tank, not just the water that sitting in your sump cause its not getting any flow. Make sense?

I dunno about FOWLR tanks, but I'd assume you wouldn't need anywhere near as much flow as you do in a reef tank. How many gallons do you have total in your system?

f1504b4
11-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Total system,I have a 75 gallon tank but once I put the sand in and live rock thats going to bring it down and a 20 gallon sump that looks like it's going to wind up with about 12 gallons in it,so thats going to leave maby 60 gallons in the total system?
I'm running 1" PVC for the drain line so I can put it where I want in regards to the PS placement.