PDA

View Full Version : Anybody a dog trainer on here.

Seahorsedreams
11-22-2006, 03:14 PM
We are having a problem with our Schnauzer and if anyone trains dogs I would sure like to pick your brain!

wwest
11-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Pick away Renee. :)

Seahorsedreams
11-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Cool! K, I have a mini Schnauzer that is about 10 years old. He's afraid of the Mantis breaking stuff up. Everytime he hears it it hides his tail and heads for the room. I've found him a couple of times cowering in the master bathroom shivering. It seems worse since the move and I think it is because of the slate mantle fireplace the tank is temporarily sitting on. It really does make it loud.

Should I keep him in the living room with the clicks and try to sooth him (he shivers something awful when I do this and then when I "uncuddle" him he bolts anyways. He's not resolving this on his own.

I should say that he was a beaten/abused pup and definately has some "quirks". I've had him since he was 1. He's the sweetest little lapdog and would never want to pee or go outside or eat again if he thought he could just stay in our arms forever.

Any suggestions?

wwest
11-22-2006, 04:43 PM
What type of noise does a mantis make that he would hear?

I would have to say it could be related to social skills, But this only works if he flips out when he is near other dogs or people. If in fact he does then i would take him on walks where there is alot of people or other ( safe ) dogs. I live on a kennel ranch and we have often trained dogs by taking them to a loud construction site and hanging out for awhile playing with them. trying to get them to understand not to fear the noise or people. then after they realize that then you can walk them were there is less noise and more people or dogs. But if he does ok around other dogs or people then that shoots that in the dark.

Only other thing i can think of is to hold the dog in your arms and let him watch the mantis for awhile. let him realize there nothing to worry about. but dont baby him to much or he will learn that if he wants attention then he can act that way you will give him the attention. and that itself is a hard task to break..

Seahorsedreams
11-22-2006, 04:55 PM
He's not afraid of the mantis tank. I don't think he realizes exactly where the noise is coming from. He loves looking out the sliding glass door that is directly to the left of the tank.

The sound is pretty loud and sharp. Like a marble being dropped on a glass tank. It does have the echo effect going on but Emmy was still afraid of it at the apartment. I'm hoping the styro under the new tank will help. I should add that the noise is not sharp or loud enough to bother the beagle.

Maybe if I made an area in the living room a sheter that he feels is as safe as the bedrooms where I would pet him if he stayed.... and then slowly lowered or took away his "shelter"?

Oh... he's alright with people and dogs..... but he is not the most socialized dog on the block.

wwest
11-22-2006, 09:35 PM
That might work, Now it is ok for dogs to have a happy place. All of my dogs have a cage without a door. The same cage they grew up in. They are always in it. Its there safe and comfortable area. ( all with pillows and stuff ) Now you can do that just dont baby him while hes in there. I would also offer a treat ( a baby carrot works well ) when he is out and doesn't care about the sound.

Seahorsedreams
11-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I hope he gets over it soon.... it's been many months now. He's gotten locked in a room for an extended period of time twice now because he hides in the weirdest places.