PDA

View Full Version : Random current??

Reefbaby
02-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi!

So...we have built a 1600 liter tank and aquarium room and are hoping to finish in up in the next month so that I can move everything over from my 550 liter reef tank. I've been working on the flow design and before I had found this lovely reef forum, I had been on previous ones asking for some advice. After some discussion, I came to the conclusion that a closed loop manifold would be the best solution.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/gallery/files/1/8/2/manifoldsmallest.jpg

But, now, after thinking about it even more, I'm still confused as to how this could be a random enough type of flow. Even though the wavemakers and Tunze streams are eyesores and take up space in the tank, wouldn't they still produce more random current if they were hooked up to alternate? Isn't random flow better than constant??
I'm having a hard time making a decision about this. The closed loop manifold also involves drilling two holes on the back of the tank, which my husband is so excited about - and to be honest, the glass tank was expensive enough without having to bum it up and buy another one!:-?

What do you guys think?

Rob
02-06-2006, 06:07 PM
the closed loops are real nice for that..
you can keep your existing setup, and employ something like a SCWD
or use more than one pump (like 2 to 4) and employ a wave maker, that will cut different pump on and off

this would work to get the alternating and more random current

Reefbaby
02-06-2006, 06:21 PM
well, i haven't built the new setup yet, so I'm (still) completely flexible to other options.

Do you think that closed loops really can get enough random current going? Should I have the closed loop pumps on alternating current?

The other thing that I was worried about was not having enough flow at the bottom half of the tank. I was thinking that the return pump could be divided up to three outlets and these could be piping that went down the back of the wall towards the bottom. (would this stir up sand too much?) But, since it was recommended to me to only have about 5X flow going through the sump, and it would get broken up between three outlets, I would think the flow would be quite minimal??

I just would love to have a better flow solution that I've had in my current tank. I've had so much detritus problems and think it's due to too low of flow....

Thanks for the help....it sucks when you feel like you're making such a big and permanent decision...

pham411
02-06-2006, 07:10 PM
in my opinion closed loop circulation is always a plus for reef tanks, especially with a properly working SCWD. my setup is pretty ghetto but i found that having a long pvc inlet in the back of my tank near the bottom parrallel to the sand prevents dead spots in the rear. i have 3 maxijets controled by my wavemaker to create current in the front of my tank. works well for me then again my tank is only a 75 gal and i have a mag 9 running my CL. ill try to get my ghetto setup up in the photogallery when i can.

latez and good luck on the setup....

Kamaaina-bob
04-05-2006, 11:14 AM
If you’re made of money these would work grate http://www.wavysea.com/

Scott
04-06-2006, 11:14 PM
If you’re made of money these would work grate http://www.wavysea.com/

That is pretty neat. Don't know if I'd have the money for it...but still neat.

BTW, Welcome to TR!