PDA

View Full Version : Carib Sea in hot water!

wildeone
11-11-2006, 11:44 PM
I will never purchase any Carib-sea sand after reading this...

From: http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/fls/PressReleases/061108-04.html

FORT PIERCE COMPANY AND ITS PRESIDENT PLEAD GUILTY AND ARE SENTENCED FOR ILLEGALLY IMPORTING CORAL ROCK INTO THE UNITED STATES

November 8, 2006
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
R. Alexander Acosta, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, Eddie McKissick, Resident Agent in Charge, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Hal Robbins, Special Agent in Charge, NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement, Southeast Division, and Jesus Torres, Special Agent in Charge, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, announced that Carib Sea, Inc., a Fort Pierce-based aquarium supply company, and Richard Greenfield, 46, of Fort Pierce, pled guilty and were sentenced in federal District Court on November 7, 2006, in connection with the illegal importation of more than 42,000 pounds of protected coral rock from Haiti to the United States. Both defendants were charged in connection with a shipment that arrived in March 2006, contrary to the laws of the United States and an international treaty intended to protect threatened and endangered species of wildlife, all in violation of the federal Lacey Act, Title 16, United States Code, Sections 3372 and 3373.
United States District Court Judge Marcia G. Cooke accepted the guilty pleas of the two defendants and proceeded to immediate sentencing. Carib Sea, Inc. was sentenced to a three year period of court-supervised probation and ordered to make a $25,000 community service payment to the South Florida National Park Trust to assist in funding and enhancing the existing Coral Nursery Program in Biscayne National Park.
Richard Greenfield was also placed on three years probation, and ordered to pay a criminal fine in the amount of $25,000. Additionally, the defendants were held jointly liable for storage and transportation costs exceeding $10,000 which related to the March 2006 seizure and approximately 40,000 pounds of coral rock found and seized by the government at the company’s business location. The defendants are also obligated to publish a notice in three publications related to the aquarium trade, explaining their violation of law and the applicable requirements of CITES and U.S. regulations.
The coral rock involved in this matter, with a market value of approximately $75,000, is being transferred to a non-profit research institution, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, to avoid its use in commerce.
According to the Information filed in this matter and a statement of facts presented in Court, in March 2006, the defendants were involved in the importation of a cargo-container load of coral rock from Haiti. Under a convention known as “CITES,” the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, more than 150 countries have banded together to provide protection to a variety of species in danger of imminent extinction, or which may become so, if trade in their specimens is not carefully regulated. That protection extends to all coral rock, which is an invertebrate within the phylum coelenterate. To legally import such specimens into the United States, the importer must, among other requirements, obtain and present to the Fish & Wildlife Service a valid foreign export permit from the country of origin, or if the country of origin is not a CITES member, such as Haiti, a corresponding document described in U.S. regulations. Neither of the defendants, or their Haitian supplier, possessed or presented the appropriate documentation for the coral in this case at the time of importation
Coral reef destruction has been the subject of intense debate at the meetings of the parties to CITES. Loss of reef habitat, which is one of the most productive and diverse ecosystems, is a world-wide concern. As nurseries for marine species of commercial value, as well as a source of income from recreational fishing and eco-tourists, and a protective barrier for coastlines, a significant effort is underway to preserve the existing reef structures and reverse their decline.
Mr. Acosta commended the coordinated investigative efforts of the Fish & Wildlife Service, the National Marine Fisheries Service, and Immigration & Customs Enforcement, which brought the matter to a successful conclusion. This case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Thomas Watts-FitzGerald.
A copy of this press release may be found on the website of the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Florida at http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/fls (http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/fls). Related court documents and information may be found on the website of the District Court for the Southern District of Florida at http://www.flsd.uscourts.gov (http://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/) or on http://pacer.flsd.uscourts.gov (http://pacer.flsd.uscourts.gov/).
Technical comments about this website can be e-mailed to the Webmaster (usafls-webmaster@usdoj.gov). PLEASE NOTE: The United States Attorney's Office does not respond to non-technical inquiries made to this website. If you wish to make a request for information, you may contact our office at 305-961-9001, or you may send a written inquiry to the United States Attorney's Office, Southern District of Florida, 99 NE 4th Street, Miami, Fl. 33132.

JayBeDriften
11-12-2006, 12:19 AM
That is definitely not cool. Looks like I won't be purchasing from Carib-Sea as well. But one question..... where will we get our sand. I recently have tried the Nature's Ocean Bio-sand. I like the appearance of the sand. Also helps that it already contains bacteria when packed.

doctorthompson
11-12-2006, 01:47 PM
But one question..... where will we get our sand.

We'll make our own using crushed coral and a big hammer. :)

Pretty stupid move on the part of Carib-Sea, everyone should make sure to tell your LFS about this in case they haven't heard about it yet -- ours hadn't.

V
11-13-2006, 04:04 AM
commercial opertunities & financial gains.
I do spit on the practice cause its raping the protected zones of the ocean, and the marine authorities handled it well. Although its written they pleaded guilty to such charges it might, i'll repeat, might pay to keep an open mind with extenuating curcumstances. Companies although responsable for their transactions, Reps, Ceo's MD's what-ever, are not always physicly at the point of collection, nor do they follow up closely to how its produced, just as long as it is! Hence the reason is term "suppliers" they consume the stress of meeting quoters, all you do as a company is put a number to the delivery. Im talking outside the box here, i dont know, is the whole area surrounding a protected reserve? are there places close by that are still collection points? You guys see where im getting at. Im not standing up for the practice in the slightest, but before everyone jumps on the band wagon on something that happened 6months ago & condem the company to slander and subsiquent loss of business. Id suggest you be real clear whether it was malicious intent for profit in the first place or just a slap happy supply decsion.

Flame away guys, Im wrapped in heat shelding today..haha

wildeone
11-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I agree with that Veriann, but the first thing I would do limit PR damage would be to generate a press release and have that front page on my website. No mention of any of this at the (http://www.carib-sea.com) Carib-sea website.

Reefbaby
11-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Wow! I'm shocked that ANY company involved in modern reef technology could stoop to this kind of behavior. We need more people in the business that are willing to stand up for eco-friendliness. I will definitely think twice before buying their product.

doctorthompson
11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Looks like this was just dry base rock that they import all the time, they just neglected to obtain the correct permit for that particular shipment.

From a story in the TCPalm (http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_5128468,00.html):

...Betsey Moore, vice president of the company, said Wednesday the material, often used in construction in Haiti, was mined from the land, not the ocean, and no living coral was harmed. Coral rock is typically used in aquariums for decoration, she said.

CaribSea Inc. did not have the proper permits to bring the material into the country, but has since obtained the necessary documents, Moore said.

"Plain and simple, we made a mistake," she said. "It was never intentional." ...From a Palm Beach Post article (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2006/11/08/1108coral.html):

...Betsey Moore, vice president of Carib Sea, on Wednesday stressed the rock the company tried to import was mined from land and not the ocean. She said it's used in construction and decorative material for aquariums.

She said the company is very "ecologically minded," and it made a mistake by not having the correct permit to import the coral rock.

"I want to stress this was coral rock and not coral. There's a huge difference," Moore said. "It's perfectly legal with a simple permit, which we've obtained since."...

Reefbaby
11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
well, that's interesting....I always thought that they claimed that they were ecologically friendly.

Amphibious
11-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Looks like this was just dry base rock that they import all the time, they just neglected to obtain the correct permit for that particular shipment.The Quote you posted from Carib Sea is what would be expected from a company that has violated the law. After all Ken Ley of Enron fame was innocent, wasn't he???

If you are interested in reading a more heated discussion between the Miami supplier, who the FL Fish and Game contacted, and someone claiming to be with CS. Go to the link below. You'll read that some of this "dead" rock was 10 lb live brain coral heads.

Reefs.org Forums :: View topic - FORT PIERCE COMPANY AND PRESIDENT PLEAD GUILTY (http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96275)

I can't say what's truth or fiction. But the guilty always claim to be innocent of wrong doing.

Boz
11-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Having practiced law for ten years, you don't just "plead guilty" to something that you didn't do or that you need an appropriate permit for. The shipment would have been delayed until the permit was produced. Sounds like the did some harm Amp?

V
11-13-2006, 09:46 PM
once again the question still remains if it was malicious intent or not!

and Amp, the guilty/non guilty parties both say they are innocent, its like saying your a witch if you float, or your not a witch if you sink. Abit open-ended to me brother!

Boz, in practising law for all those years, your aware people of your suit are the only winners. Sometimes its easier to take the fine than to drag proccedings out for longer than it has to. Couple that with the fact they are the inporter & no sugar coating dressing is going to hide that fact, it very well might have been the lesser of 2 evils.
Once again, not defending them, cause in reality, i know sqwat. I personally like to have all the facts in most cases before i commit to a common movement.

Amphibious
11-13-2006, 10:24 PM
A Miami Importer was consulted by F&W after the bust in March. Here's a quote from his first post on another forum, Reefs.org.

I cant believe that they are right back to spinning what they did in Haiti. Some of that "live rock" was brain coral that were over 10 lb. I know the person who shipped them from Haiti. The guy in Haiti was digging up a reef and dropping it in a rock crusher. Their "permit" was obtained after the fact by 30 days or so and is questionable. How they thought they could bring up a container of coral up the Miami river and avoid clearing Fish and wildlife is beyond me. What arrogance. These people have been in the business for 35 years and did not know you have to give documents to fish and wildlife? Bull!!!!! Its cowboys like this that reflect on our business. Permits for more than 6,000 lbs are not supposed to be issued. The container was manifested as 40,000 lb of sand..... lol what spin I think there were 3 or 4 bags on the container. As an expert on permits in Haiti Fish and wildlife consulted with me after the bust and let me tell you what Carib is saying is just plain not trueThis thread gets heated but I found it very interesting. If this subject interests you, you may want to read it.

Boz
11-13-2006, 11:17 PM
"Boz, in practising law for all those years, your aware people of your suit are the only winners. Sometimes its easier to take the fine than to drag proccedings out for longer than it has to. "

True enough Veriann! I stopped practicing because of my general distaste for lawyers. Lawyers are always the ones that make out in regard to any proceeding.

However, i will say that as the charges are listed as a "criminal offense" - there is a lot more at stake than a simple fine. If this is a felony, these folks lose their right to vote (among other things). :yikes: This goes on the permanent record of the individuals that were caught.

As a "counselor", my responsibility would be to not allow a client to take the criminal rap for something that they didn't do - it all sounds very "fishy" to me.:fish:

Sounds like the jury is still out on this one..... :peep:

V
11-14-2006, 02:10 AM
sad, very sad, thanks for posting up guys.

fat walrus
11-14-2006, 05:04 AM
The construction lobby is perhaps the most powerful group on earth. You will never hear about their "contribution" to the destruction of the reef and the wild. Do you know what concrete is made from?

Carib Sea is but one of many companies caught in an environment of changes in custom regulation changes, especially in the wake of Homeland Security Changes in recent years.

Coral material is a vital ingredient in concrete and cement mixes. Wrecking balls and pile drivers are common methods to gather materials for construction..........yet we hear so little about it. Those of you who use Southdown sand, where did you think it came from? Those of you who buy Walt Smith live rocks, where did you think it came from?.

Reefbaby
11-14-2006, 05:21 AM
wow - I read that other thread over at reef.org. Pretty sad to see our nice, friendly reef forums turning into hateful and malicious thread bashing. Thank goodness for Talking Reef!!! :D

V
11-14-2006, 05:25 AM
OHhhhh blub http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/viecher/monster_2.gif your sexy when you talk like that!

Reefbaby
11-14-2006, 05:30 AM
OHhhhh blub your sexy when you talk like that!

hey....what about me?! :unsure:

fat walrus
11-14-2006, 05:35 AM
OHhhhh blub http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/viecher/monster_2.gif your sexy when you talk like that!
Point is, it was a documentation violation, nothing else. The shipment in question is 42,000 lbs. That is absolutely NOTHING in compared to the construction industry.

They are scapegoats.

V
11-14-2006, 07:46 AM
well, times are changing blub!, i think its about time we find a substitute for bonding ingredients & flip the lid wide open on such practices. Global empire's as much as i love them will continue to reep profits as long as its
A) profitable
B) viable
c) social or econonmicly acceptable
D) all of the above

See, heres the thing, humans the more advanced we become as a race, the colder & more narrow minded we end up. We have thrown a blanket over our lives with the illusions of everlasting equalibriums. We are super-satuated by the media, by social circles, by own our self centered & contained lives that we are literaly blindfolding ourselves as we steam forward into technological humanity.
Its not just the reefs destructions that go un-noticed, or the private wars people are stilll fighting, or mass venting emmissions in the name of progress that show no signs of slowing. Its the fact that illusions keep us safe, reality and accountability are to be fought by someone else.

It comes down to two things and two things only.
'Our home/social life, & our work life'.

Our home/social life dictate how we see ourselves, how we see ourselves in the eyes of others, how we throw even more illusions & notions of how we control everything around us. And this strange thing with the collection of assets as somehow an extension of ourselves drives us even further in the numb sectors of the brain that allow people to carry on with a blindfold tighter than ever.

Then you have the work life, which to the brain is a clear & seperate section in life. Everyone has the desire to make money, & as much of it as possible.
When you actually follow the path of money, it can get very dark & very dirty. At some point people switch off for good, & stepping on people or environment to achieve mental targets within us all becomes the pain killer for the senses.

two things are already changing, first is the planet, people are being forced to realise that blanket of equalibrium that they fought so hard to maintain is starting to fray at more places than just the edges.
and second its the stronger voices within the social circles that are indeed making issues like above common conversations.

Any ways, once again, its time for a scotch!

Amphibious
11-14-2006, 09:36 AM
hey....what about me?! :unsure:You don't even have to open your mouth to be sexy, RB! http://www.theculturedreef.com/hearts2W.gif

Reefbaby
11-14-2006, 09:48 AM
he he...that's what I come to TR for! :D

Amphibious
11-14-2006, 10:07 AM
And we're the better for it. http://www.theculturedreef.com/winkW.gif

JustDavidP
11-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Update: Blatanly Excerpted from a discussion on the Boston Reefer's Forum:

For those that haven't seen this. Apparantley this was a "technicality". They had permits, but apparently this rock fell into another category. Anthony Calfo contacted them and wrote this (I got this from RC)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To all - the the above story/issue re: Carib Sea did not make sense to me at face value - the company is so big, so industry friendly... and so smart, etc

So I talked to the company directly for the skinny on it... turns out the matter is as suspected (administrative oversight... non-nefarious, and rather minor IMO):

The gist of it from ems:

------------------------------

The product was our reef bones. It is dead live rock, and a common construction material in Haiti and many other tropical islands. It was a nice looking product when we released it several years back... as I am sure you are aware, all of the laws, and permits for these various resources can be very confusing. We simply did not have the proper permit in place for one container of product of the several we had brought in over the last few years. We now have the correct permit. It’s funny a simple $100 permit cost us upwards of a quarter of a million dollars in fines, legal fees, storage fees, and the product they kept.

Fortunately we learned a lot from this experience. We will continue on our path, helping and donating time, money, and product to research groups and conservation efforts such as our program with the Blue Iguana Recovery Program (Blue Iguana Recovery Program (http://www.blueiguana.ky)) to help save the Blue Iguana.

People tend to overlook anything good, and focus on the size of the fine and company name.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a second post:

quote:
so the summary is... much like the unclear (and often unknown by officers themselves) Fish and Wildlife regs that badly jamb up LFS owners importing (and kill animals for the vague paper recs) - Caribsea's oversight was a documentation issue on one among several legal shipments. And their precedent was all legal shipments too.

This reminds me of the thousands (I'm not kidding) of clams that F&W has killed by delaying shipments of AQUACULTURED clams because the import docs did not list the gravel(!) that was stuck under the clamshell (farmers use local aggregate to sometimes grow baby clams).

This is beurocracy folks... not poaching. Caribsea is a good company... please give them a break.

(and for my name/personality... let me state that I have never taken so much as a free sample at a tradeshow or otherwise from this company. My opinion here is unbiased)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally, Anthony hasn't steered me wrong my my years in the hobby. Others can continue to debate..but I'm done looking into it.

Dave

V
11-14-2006, 04:40 PM
sweet responce from the flip side of the coin dave:up:

JustDavidP
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Holy Moley... this thread is a hot one:

Reefs.org Forums :: View topic - FORT PIERCE COMPANY AND PRESIDENT PLEAD GUILTY (http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96275&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=a4c3863f261704cc44f2bf4a5293581a)

vanmo92
11-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Wow. that really sucks. I guess I have illegal sand in my tank.

fat walrus
11-16-2006, 12:18 AM
sweet responce from the flip side of the coin dave:up:
And what was I, chopped liver?

The truth is that the aquarium industry has more independent oversight groups than any other industry that involves the reef and the ocean. The aquarium industry is first in bringing awareness to the demise of the reef; without the aquarium industry, most people would never get to see close-up what we are trying to preserve. The aquarium industry lead the charge for ecological stability, spend more money and time per dollar than all other industries, yet is always to first to fall under scrutiny.......that itself as a result of many self imposed regulations. Did you know that all the aragonite ever taken for the aquarium trade is less than one percent of one percent of the total taken for concrete?

So many people are eager to pound a company like Carib Sea that is ecologically motivated, yet have no reservations about buying aragonite sand from home improvement stores that sell coral-based sand that was meant for concrete mixture or foundation fill-in. Oddly enough, even though the ingredients are the same, Carib Sea goes through rigid regulations while the ones found at the home improvement stores do not. Even wonder why a 20# bag of Carib Sea sells for $25-$40 while a 50#bag of Newcastle or southdown sell for $5-$10?

Destroyers of the reef:
1) constuction industry
2) fishing industry
3) oil industry
4) lumber industry
5) shipping industry
6) chemical industry
7) textile industry
8) waste water industry
9) tourism industry
10) military
11) farming industry

Those are just a short list. I can list many many more. In short, we (aquarists) as a group are at the forefront of reef protection, but are automatically blamed for reef distruction because we have the most self-imposed regulations and the least amount of lobbyist representation in comparison to other industries.

wildeone
11-16-2006, 12:33 AM
It comes down to two things and two things only.
'Our home/social life, & our work life'.

Our home/social life dictate how we see ourselves, how we see ourselves in the eyes of others, how we throw even more illusions & notions of how we control everything around us. And this strange thing with the collection of assets as somehow an extension of ourselves drives us even further in the numb sectors of the brain that allow people to carry on with a blindfold tighter than ever.

Then you have the work life, which to the brain is a clear & seperate section in life. Everyone has the desire to make money, & as much of it as possible.
When you actually follow the path of money, it can get very dark & very dirty. At some point people switch off for good, & stepping on people or environment to achieve mental targets within us all becomes the pain killer for the senses.

two things are already changing, first is the planet, people are being forced to realise that blanket of equalibrium that they fought so hard to maintain is starting to fray at more places than just the edges.
and second its the stronger voices within the social circles that are indeed making issues like above common conversations.

Any ways, once again, its time for a scotch!

Put down the Scotch Veriann, unless that is what made you put that so well. A great insight on us as humans. Mind if I take part of that and put it on my board at work?

Reefbaby
11-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Holy Moley... this thread is a hot one:

Reefs.org Forums :: View topic - FORT PIERCE COMPANY AND PRESIDENT PLEAD GUILTY (http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96275&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=a4c3863f261704cc44f2bf4a5293581a)

yes, that was what I was referring to when I said....it's nice to be here at TR, where our reef threads don't turn into hateful, malicious, people-bashing threads! I was shocked when I read that...that it didn't get moderated or anything. It was a bit overboard, in my opinion.

wildeone
11-16-2006, 05:20 PM
yes, that was what I was referring to when I said....it's nice to be here at TR, where our reef threads don't turn into hateful, malicious, people-bashing threads! I was shocked when I read that...that it didn't get moderated or anything. It was a bit overboard, in my opinion.

It is obvious that you have not read the notorious "Romain Lettuce Incident" and the severe lashing I received from Amp! LOL :wow:

V
11-16-2006, 10:18 PM
blubber, i saw your first posting, i was just waiting for the climax of your intense performance to reach the level i could be proud of! & indeed i was. your a legend my friend in every respect. your last write-up article was a scalple. :love!: .

& wildman, i dont respect crappy write laws, so why should you..lol.
once its out in cyber land is public domain as far as im concerned. take what ever you need.

V
11-16-2006, 10:23 PM
to honest, i haven't read that no-named sites forum thread. from the first comment on the heated issue i had a feeling proper reasoning wasn't always taking point!
i upset the apple cart all the time so i'll be the first to say those whom slam_post whilst free riding the band wagon have no brain to think for themselves, & as such maybe a snappy self reflection might be in order.

Reefbaby
11-17-2006, 07:01 AM
you should hop over and read the thread V - it's quite dramatic! :D

V
11-17-2006, 08:14 AM
RB, i hopped over to read it to see whats all the huff about, 2 pages was my limit. mate, how many idiots can you cram into one site, it was exactly how i imagined it.
And thats a tacky site, please dont dirrect me there again...lol

Reefbaby
11-17-2006, 02:26 PM
:D See, that's what I meant about TR being so great! http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/images/smilies/w00t2.gif

V
11-17-2006, 04:09 PM
yeah i know your happy about me being here, but at least try to contain yourself RB....http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/ices_rofl.gif