PDA

View Full Version : Long brown Algae

macsturm
11-08-2006, 11:32 PM
I am having an issue with my tank that hopefully I can find some help with

Here are my tank specs

Display: 125G (140lbs LR, 3" Sandbed(175lbs))
Sump: 20G (2" Crushed Coral)
Skimmer: ER RS-135
CA Reactor: none
pH Controller: none
Return: Eheim 2080 and Mag 7
Overflow: DIY HOB Overflow
Heater: Ebo Jagher (2)
Phosphate remover rowaphos in a bag
running Carbon Media 24/7
RO: Costco
Salt: Instant Ocean
Light: 72" VHO 4 bulb
Sump Light: 7x24 20watt 50/50
Inverts: Emerald Crab, trochus, nassarius, astrea, turbo, blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp
Fish: 2x neon goby, 2x Nemo(false P), 2x Diamond Goby, yellow tang, Bicolor Pseudochromis.
Coral:, Crazy frog, xenia, brain coral, neon green candy cane, carnation, RBTA, another anenome, 3 other wavy coral, blueberry zoo, blue/purple monster, tenis and florida acropi

I use test strips for nitrates, nitrites, ph and do calcium and phospate testing with elos kits

the test strips show no nitrates or nitrites, and ph looks good

last calcium test done was showing 500 a little on the high side

temp is between 79-80 degrees

I manual top off the tank with 1 or two gallons every day

The tank is approx. 3 months old and has a bit of diatoms on the back wall where I can not use the cleaning magnet

flow is done by the eheim 2080 with nothing in it, 1x maxijet 1200, 2x powerhead 201, 1x powerhead 801, I large JBj powerhead with two outlets and one mag 7 pump as a return for my diy sump

I have a large bag of carbon, rowaphos and purigen in the sump,

MY problem is there is long brown I assume algae coming out of one of the polps of my torch coral, I would call it hair algae as it is long and stringy about 3 inches long, this just showed up today, I do water changes about 10% every two weeks

any thoughts on what this could be and what I am doing wrong

thanks for the support

Mark

doctorthompson
11-09-2006, 12:14 AM
MY problem is there is long brown I assume algae coming out of one of the polps of my torch coral, I would call it hair algae as it is long and stringy about 3 inches long, this just showed up today, I do water changes about 10% every two weeks

any thoughts on what this could be and what I am doing wrong

Without a picture (hint hint! species identification almost always requires a good picture) my first guess would be "poop" (eg. coral or fish waste material), not algae. I don't know of any species of algae that could grow 3 inches in one day from nothing.

"The label said Win95 or better so I bought a Mac"

Classic :)

macsturm
11-09-2006, 02:28 AM
I think it was a Newbie freak on my part, I did not know that Coral could poop or expel some sort of waste, yes it was 1 day or less, unfortunately I cannot take a picture of the poop/whatever as when I was feeding my fresh brine shrimp(thanks Rob for the video) the large piece floated off the coral and I caught it with my net and dumped it, the torch finger(sorry don't know proper name started to extend once again after it let go of the poop, I just fed that coral yesterday with scallop meat as it is a carnivore as per LFS, I will try to take a picture of the coral as I don't know its name in my excitement in buying it, thankyou

doctorthompson
11-09-2006, 09:21 AM
With a setup that size you should consider starting a tank journal here on TR.