PDA

View Full Version : My Clowns finally spawned!!!

Rob
02-05-2006, 06:25 PM
im so excited i had to tell you guys...
for the past few months, i have been raising tomato clown eggs from a friends.
while waiting for my True Pecula's to start spawning.
i have had them for about a year now, and they have finally started.. :D
it looks like they laid them a few days ago, i just noticed the...

i will try and get some photos up soon.

Jimm
02-05-2006, 07:36 PM
VERY cool Rob! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Scott
02-05-2006, 07:43 PM
That is pretty cool. looking forward to seeing the pics, and to hear how it all goes.

Rob
02-05-2006, 07:59 PM
yeah, i was so excited, i have been trying to get them to start for a LONG time...
will have some pics tonight, as long as they came out ok.

gwen_o_lyn
02-06-2006, 12:16 AM
wooo hooooooooooooooo
w000000000000000000t!!
That's great Rob!!! YAY!! :mrgreen:

Rob
02-06-2006, 12:16 AM
ok, here are the pictures of my clowns first clutch of eggs

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/gallery/files/3/IMG_2953.jpg

and here are the happy parents... :D

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/gallery/files/3/IMG_2952.jpg

gwen_o_lyn
02-06-2006, 12:21 AM
looks like coralline to me Rob!! :p

Rob
02-06-2006, 12:29 AM
yeah, the pictures suck...
my lens isnt good for those close up shots like that
the eggs are the little orange things under the males mouth (male is the one on the right)

gwen_o_lyn
02-06-2006, 12:32 AM
That's what I thought- I can see em!!

Scott
02-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Very cool, after you pointed out where exactly to look....I needed the help. :-)

Rob
02-06-2006, 01:01 AM
yeah, they are hard to see in person...lol
i will not be trying to raise this clutch, as thy will likely eat them before they hatch.
i am going to let them eat the first few... but after that, they should be ready to go.. (yes this is normal..lol)

gwen_o_lyn
02-06-2006, 01:03 AM
yum yum

Scott
02-06-2006, 01:09 AM
That'll be really cool to actually have a batch hatch....then I'm sure it will either be keep them or sell them to LFS for credit?

gwen_o_lyn
02-06-2006, 01:12 AM
but keeping them alive isn't easy.. takes some practice... Rob will be a pro soon though, right?

Rob
02-06-2006, 01:15 AM
yeah.. it definitely takes some practice...lol
i will be keeping at least one or two from the first clutch, but yes, i will be selling the rest... either to locals, or to the LFS's

Reefbaby
02-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Hey congratulations to Mama and Papa! Are you going to name them all??? :-)

Jimm
02-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Outstanding! Got rots? (That should be a t-shirt).

Rob
02-06-2006, 11:53 AM
yes.. im going to name half coral jr, and the other half marlin jr...lmao..
sorry couldnt help it... :D

Reefbaby
02-06-2006, 05:10 PM
:-) Cute!

btw...approximately how many eggs do clown fish usually lay?

Rob
02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
a healthy clutch will have anywhere from 200-300 eggs

people who are really good can even get a +90% survival rate too..

im not that good yet..lol

Reefbaby
02-06-2006, 06:12 PM
are you going to take them out into a separate tank and feed them there? It'd be great to log your follow-up! I had followed a pretty interesting thread from another site...would it be alright to post a link to it here?? Don't want to steal your thunder....

pham411
02-06-2006, 07:14 PM
doh thats awsome that your clowns spawned... conditions must be perfect in your tanks.... good luck on the offspring.

Rob
02-06-2006, 08:28 PM
are you going to take them out into a separate tank and feed them there?
yes, i have a couple tanks setup just for this purpose.

It'd be great to log your follow-up!
i am going to do my best to keep an active log here, but no promises..lol

I had followed a pretty interesting thread from another site...would it be alright to post a link to it here?? Don't want to steal your thunder....
by all means, if it has educational value, im all for it.

JustDavidP
02-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Great news Rob...best of luck.

Even with a 90% success rate being reached by some hobbyists, that 90% will still have a fair number of misbars and other 'faults'. Nutrition is key now bro!

I want someone to try hatching clown eggs in a kreisel!

Dave

Reefbaby
02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah...I was just reading about misbars. What's that all about? Does that mean that they're faulty and couldn't be sold?? Is it spontaneous mutation or what?

Rob
02-07-2006, 06:18 PM
yeah, success rates can reach 98-99% if your good (i was being conservative)

misbars are when they have misplaces, or incomplete stripes.
so instead of it having a stripe all the way from the top to the bottom, it would be more link a spot on the top and a spot on the bottom.

in some species these are desired, not in many

Reefbaby
02-07-2006, 06:20 PM
so what do people do with the misbars?

JustDavidP
02-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Misbars are still wonderful pets.. they just miss the 'standard' and are not desireable to purists... like having a german shepherd that is too big, too small, too hairy to meet the standard... wonderful pets..just not 'show quality'.

Reefbaby
05-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Is there such a thing as a "Fish Show"?? http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/cute_smileys/roflmao.gif
...sorry to revive a dead thread...for some reason I just stumbled across this again...

pham411
05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
question here about clowns. how do you choose a mated pair?

Rob
05-13-2006, 11:18 PM
well sometimes you can buy "spawning pairs" but they are VERY expensive. easily costing $100 or more, sometimes much more.

the problem is that when disrupted (like when moving to a new tank) they will often stop spawning, and "may" never start again.

when i started mine, i choose to get a simple pair. which is just a pair that you know contains one male and one female. these are often found at LFS's for much less.

the cheapest way is to get two juviniles, or a femal and a juviniles and let them establish them selves. the catch to this is the farther back in the chain you go the longer you will be waiting for spawn.

the chain is as follows:
1.) non pair - two estranged, juveniles or any non "pair" set of clowns
2.) pair - a male and female
3.) bonded pair - male and female that have completed the multi month 4.) bonding rituals and have accepted each other as mates
4.) spawning pair - self explanatory

fat walrus
05-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Rob, a lot of those spawning pairs are just wishful thinking. at best they will be a bonded pair, but more often than not, it just a pair. ever notice the HUGE female and the TINY "male" sold as a MATED pair? it is especially with any of the red type of clowns. i know that nature will not allow the most dominent of a group to mate with the tiniest of the same group. i think that a lot of the shippers just pick the biggest and the smallest together and call it a MATED or BONDED or SPAWNING pair. getting two juveniles will be in my opinion to be the most safe and cost effective way to go.

Rob
05-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Walrus... when getting them from a common LFS, i agree..
what i was referring to was if you get them from specific organizations that deal in fish breeding. Many of these will sell you actual spawning pairs.

but i agree, when looking at a LFS, they are usually just "pairs" or 2 "non pairs" with a substantial size difference
this is not a bad thing, just dont pay too much for them.. ;)

Warnberg
10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Rob, if you where to estimate how old are your clowns? and did you do anything special to get them to start breeding? Reason I ask is because I have a pair of perc's that I have had now for about 18 months, they have found their spot in the tank, they never leave each other, they defend their spot, but no eggs yet. I have tried increasing light time and decreasing light times, increase temp and decrease temp, different foods but still not luck yet. Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
10-12-2006, 12:47 PM
i am not sure on age, but it sounds like your could be ready..
the thing that finally worked for me, was to feed the heck out of them.

if yours are in a community tank, then this might be harder
but basically, feed them as much as you can, an if they are ready they will start showing in a few weeks.. :)

i have found that nutrition is a very underestimated part in successful clown breeding

thesaent14
10-22-2006, 02:29 PM
wow i just when to the hall thread this is relly good now i have a Q?? i have a sponing pair whitch i just got in my sump i will be moving really soon so i will have them in a beter tank by them self now my Q? is do i have to use dans rocks corals and al for them to start sponing back or i probaly don't have hope they my stop cus i got them out from there orijinal tank

Rob
10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
well if i understand correctly, you should have to do anything to get them to start spawning again. granted, they will probably stop spawning, but keep them safe and well fed, and they should start spawning again.

thesaent14
10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
i just got a nano cube for a good deal is a 12g it will be to small for them only some sand and some rocks

Rob
10-23-2006, 08:50 PM
if i remember they are maroon clowns, yes a 12 gallon is not really big enough for maroons