PDA

View Full Version : Sick BTA?

Benji
11-06-2006, 07:48 PM
I have had my bta for about 6 weeks for the first 5 he was fine. For the past week it has been cloased most of the time or just plain shrivelled. It seemed to be doing just fine and even in a short space of time it grew quite a bit. Now he is about a fifth the size that he was and im really concerned. The water parameters have not chance at all since i put him in there the only thing that has changed is that i have added a brain coral and a large toadstool. I have even added a pollyfilter to try to eliminate something that im not testing for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I am worried now that it is about to die :(. The foot seems to look like it has a solid hold of the rock and it has not moved from its original place for the whole 6 week period.

wildeone
11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Benji, sorry to hear about your BTA. Has it been closed at all in the first 5 weeks? BTA's frequently shrivel, shrink or deflate every once in a while to expell waste out of their oral cavity. My BTA does the every so often as well and sometimes it takes a day or two do get the job done.

Sometimes they will change locations, but mine waited almost 6 months before moving. Just last week I noticed he started traveling around the tank. Now he is in one spot and has been there for 36 hours.

Although feeding is often said to be unnecessary, it will not produce all the food it needs on its own. You should be feeding it once a week or so some silversides, or shrimp or something meaty. Have you been feeding it? If so, how often. Also, how is your lighting?

Benji
11-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I have been feeding it about twice a week. It hasnt shriveled like this before. It has been closed up or tiny and pathetic looking for over a week. I have 150w mh lamp but it only seems to be open a little at night during the day it just seems to close back up again.

wildeone
11-06-2006, 09:32 PM
It almost sounds as though it is a normal deflating, but over a week sounds a bit long. Your feedings sound OK, what temp are you running right now and where is hein you setup? Is he up high, close to the lights, or low in the tank? Also, did you happen to notice any tears in his foot when you purchased him? And one more, is he bleached stark white or does he have any color?

Rob
11-07-2006, 01:06 AM
i agree, deflating is normal, but for this long is not...
does this anemone have clown(s) hosting in it?
are the new corals near the anemone?

i must ask though.. you added a polyfilter to remove what? if your not testing for it how do you know it needs to be removed.. :) dont mean to pick, just had to ask...

fat walrus
11-07-2006, 02:50 AM
A week is not that long. I've seen it many times. Is it covered in a mucus?

Benji
11-07-2006, 05:02 AM
I have 2 clowns which are tank bread and they have not started to host in the anemone yet. The foot was perfect when i bought it and as far as i know it still is. At the moment it actually seems to have a disliking of the light. it is at the bottom of the tank and has not moved since it decided to stay there about 6 weeks ago. its not covered in mucus but one side of its tentacles are very small and look like they are about to drop off. Its always somewhat extended in the mornings when i first turn the lights on then it shrinks back quickly. The mouth also appears to be fine. My reasons for adding the polyfilter were that maybe it would help to take out some of the toxins in the water that i cannot test for? i know you are right Rob but i am kinda desperate for the thing not to die :/ so i will try anything. The closest coral to it is about 6 inches away. These include a brain coral a toadstool and a frogspawn.