PDA

View Full Version : Flatworms

Stevej72
11-05-2006, 12:45 PM
I have flatworms:eek:

http://members.cox.net/johnsonstephenp/flatworms.JPG
From what I've read (from wetweb media)the flatworms will come and go with the copepod population which is their food source. I cant find the link right now I'll have to post it later.
I'm not seeing any on the coral just some of the LR and where the sand bed meets the glass.
Anyone have more info on these guys?
Should I start the removal process or is the info I found on wetweb accurate?

Rob
11-05-2006, 12:51 PM
OMG!!!..... RUN FOR THE HILLS.....

lol, OK, just kidding, its not the end of the world, and there are great removal products for flatworms, but the trick is to use them before the population gets to big. i read a lot of still where people just said leave them and they will "wax and wane" i never say this, they just waxed, and waxed, and grew larger and more...lol.

i routinely had to suck them out because they are so freaking ugly to look at.
they are not an immediate threat, just an eye sore, adn if they get to large populations they can start to smother corals.

natural predators
target mandarin - mixed success
sixline wrasse - mixed success
blue velvet nudi - 100% success, but very hard to keep alive

just let me know what other info you are seeking and i will do what i can to help

Amphibious
11-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I recently had flat worms showing up just above my sand bed. They would show up and I said, I got to get those buggers before they get out of hand. When, one day, there was about a dozen I decided that was enough. I took a pipette and sucked them off the glass and disposed of them. A few days later there were two more. Disposed of them, too. That's been about two weeks ago. Haven't seen one since.

Stevej72
11-05-2006, 10:12 PM
I was doing my weekly water change when I noticed a few small Majano anemones. and while zapping the Majanos some of the Calcium also nuked two flatworms that were a little too close.
Im wondering if a higher amount of Calcium would help to control them?

Rob
11-05-2006, 10:46 PM
I was doing my weekly water change when I noticed a few small Majano anemones. and while zapping the Majanos some of the Calcium also nuked two flatworms that were a little too close.
Im wondering if a higher amount of Calcium would help to control them?
very unlikely, you were probably using a kalk solution to kill them, in which case its not the calcium thats killing them, its the extremely high PH of the mixture.

a calcium level too high o low would be more detrimental to your system than your flatworms.. ;)

Stevej72
11-06-2006, 08:26 PM
I use Kent Concentrated Liquid Calcium on my Aiptasia and Majanos. The ingredients are deionized water and calcium chloride.

Yea I wasn't thinking about the ph killing them

JR Aquatics
11-06-2006, 08:56 PM
I had success with eliminating the few that I had with a hungry mandarin. At the time I could not find a sixline wrasse so I did some searching and found people having luck with manderins. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I haven't seen one since.

Stevej72
01-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Ok the Calcium and or the PH was not killing them just making them abandon the treated LR. I also tried a rise in SG to about 1.027 - 1.028 (which I had read in another thread) I maintained the SG for about a week then slowly dropped it back to 1.026 This had no effect on the flat worms. Currently I am siphoning them out as I see them.

Rob
01-16-2007, 01:14 AM
its more likely that dropping the salinity could have been more affective than raising it.. but that said, it hasn't worked for me in the past...its just what i hear.. :)

iglowce
01-16-2007, 01:34 AM
stay on the look out...

Seahorsedreams
01-16-2007, 01:42 AM
What type of flatworms are we talking about.... I can't see the pic. At night, turn off the lights, put a flashlight to the side and suction them up as they are attracted. Certainly takes more than one time.

I wouldn't touch some of them because they are of little consequence.

Stevej72
01-16-2007, 07:51 PM
its more likely that dropping the salinity could have been more affective than raising it.. but that said, it hasn't worked for me in the past...its just what i hear.. :)

Maybe that's what the post said to do, I am dyslexic :doh:
Still I don't have enough to justify a toxin or predator so I will just siphon them for now :agree:

What type of flatworms are we talking about.... I can't see the pic. At night, turn off the lights, put a flashlight to the side and suction them up as they are attracted. Certainly takes more than one time.

I wouldn't touch some of them because they are of little consequence.

They look just like the pic you posted on my Journal thread. http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/2078-24-gal-nano-cube-3.html#post42066
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/critters_album/942305f5.jpg

Seahorsedreams
01-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Ah. Didn't know if it was the same guy where you posted that in October.

I agree... just siphon.

iglowce
01-16-2007, 11:25 PM
i agreed =]