PDA

View Full Version : culturing phyto

dadonoflaw
11-04-2006, 11:32 AM
if i want to start a culture would it be possible to use a regular 100watt bulb as lighting from a household fixture? is that also good with hatching brine shrimp and rotifers?

wildeone
11-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Yes, that will work fine fro the brine, I am not sure for phyto, you may have to test it. Be careful because you don't want the heat from the bulb to overheat the brine. You can also use a small flourescent as well.

doctorthompson
11-04-2006, 01:42 PM
For a single bottle you could cut your power to 1/5th and use one of those 20W CF bulbs that fit incandescent fixtures. Phillips and GE both have "daylight" bulbs that are in the 5500K to 6500K range for color temperature.

For the last 8 months I've just used a shelf by one of our south-facing basement windows that has a heat vent nearby, the cultures take a little longer lately cuz our days are pretty short up here in the winter but they've been doing fine so far -- plus the bubbling green bottles in the window keep the neighbors intrigued :)

wildeone
11-04-2006, 10:51 PM
See, its the simple solutions that escape me. I have those bulbs all over my house and never thought of that. Great idea Doc!

Rob
11-05-2006, 12:26 PM
yep, as noted it will work but it would be better to use a small CF bulb to reduce the heat.. :)

although for the price of a pack of CF bulbs you can get a 4' shop fixture and 2 fluorescent bulbs to go with it.. :) (Less than $10 usually)

dadonoflaw
11-05-2006, 05:32 PM
where can i get the fixture and the lights?

doctorthompson
11-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Any hardware store should carry them (Home Depot, Lowes, whatever-you-prefer). Look around a bit and you'll probably find a good deal.