PDA

View Full Version : Open Brain Corals

Cyclura
11-02-2006, 09:02 PM
First of all, althought i have done some research on brains prior to this post, i am not sure if these guys are LPS or softies lol. Anywho, down to my main point.

So now my water perimeters are perfect again after the addition of my two true percs and my bio filter has adjusted to the added bioload. So.....since i dont want to add anymore fish because one of my clowns is recovering from Hole in the head which i am treating with melafix. I want to add instead a few new types of coral and my top priority for now is getting an open brain coral. I have read so much about them and i have fallen in love! I dont think you can get any closer to a clam than with an open brain. Perfect for my newbie status (im assuming) and much easier for me than a clam. So.....my question is...

How much and how often to feed it and what is a reasonable price for a frag and the price for a more average sized brain? As some of you may know, my LFS wants $200+ for an average sized specimen.

My research tells me that the best time to feed is at night when the sweeper tentacles are out, my plan is to switch off with spot feeding meaty marine cuisine frozen food and marine snow planktonic diet 3 times weekly. What do yall think?

Sorry this post is so long...i just have a whole bunch to say :p

thanks,

-Adam

Rob
11-03-2006, 01:18 AM
i agree with carmie, wait till dosing is over, that said, if your lighting and system will support it based on your research go for it.

feeding should be done a bit less IMO. i would start at weekly as and adjust as needed.
you feeding method sounds perfect, feed when sweeper tentacles are out, and feed meaty foods

CarmieJo
11-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Adam,

I would definitely not add anything and especially coral while dosing the Melefix. It made all of my corals unhappy. Once it cleared from my tank they were fine again but I think that the stress of acclimation coupled with the Melefix could be a bad beginning.

Seahorsedreams
11-16-2006, 04:27 PM
How much light do you have? What is the height of your tank?

JR Aquatics
11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
I question the cost of what you are looking for. Do you have any pics of what you are considering on getting. I am saying this because I find $200 a little steap. Are you talking about a Wellsophyllia http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=432?

Seahorsedreams
11-16-2006, 10:31 PM
I paid $30 bucks for this brain. It has grown a lot since I got it but I would still pay under $60 for the one you see in the pic... and it's pretty big.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/seahorsedreams/fish/anthiassmaller2.jpg

Rob
11-17-2006, 01:31 AM
sorry for the OT post, but i just wanted to say thats a beautiful picture renee. awesome color.. ;)

JustDavidP
11-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I paid 30 bucks for a Wellsophyllia of that size.. same color too.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/Brain2.jpg?t=1163777048

Again... you should ask Kevin or Gwen about some reasonable LFS in your area.

Dave

Seahorsedreams
11-17-2006, 11:26 AM
*Faints*

AWESOME pic David....k, now you are making mine look bland....LOL!

JustDavidP
11-17-2006, 11:38 AM
A buddy's (Gumhead... Dave Guimond) camera.. and actinic lighting ;)

Seahorsedreams
11-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Cheater...LOL

Cyclura
11-17-2006, 09:51 PM
my tank has a true blue actinic light (dont know what wattage, it doesnt say) but i also have a 10,000k compact flourescent bulb as well. My tank is about 14" high.

about the LFS, gwen and kevin, i go to "aquarium showcase" in alpharetta. ever heard of it? anyways, if i do decide to buy from online, is liveaquaria really a reliable source?

gwen_o_lyn
11-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Yes I would recommend LiveAquaria.

For local stores- CapBay is a must see- have u been there? I just drool everytime I'm in there.

I've only been to Aquarium Showcase once when we had a meeting there, and they are an ARC sponsor too.

JustDavidP
11-20-2006, 09:52 AM
:) Hi Gwennie!

D